Touro-Harlem vs UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellonceek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've recently received interviews from both of these schools, and they both seem like really great places. Can anyone give me their opinion on Touro-Harlem vs. UNECOM? I feel like UNE has a stronger program, but I would also love to live in NYC vs Maine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what you should focus on: Deli food and NY pizza vs clam chowder and ME lobster

Hi everyone!

I've recently received interviews from both of these schools, and they both seem like really great places. Can anyone give me their opinion on Touro-Harlem vs. UNECOM? I feel like UNE has a stronger program, but I would also love to live in NYC vs Maine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Reactions: 3 users
Id prefer UNECOM just because its not in such a big city, but thats what you like. Honestly pick the school that is best for you and gives you the best feeling. If you're applying to historically ACGME residencies (post-merger) then a DO school is a DO school is a DO school. Go where you think there will be the best education for YOU

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Tourocom is a solid program. It's boards oriented and academically rigorous. Its in Harlem which is as urban as urban can be; which isn't my cup of tea, but you have all of NYC available to you via mass transit. It doesn't have a rich campus life, but there are plenty of interest groups and outreach activities that the school does. I like the place, the teachers and administration try very hard to do a good job, so I really can't complain much. Do you have any specific questions?

I'm a third year at UNECOM. I can't speak for anything Touro, but living in Maine is sweet. The school is on the water. The facilities are brand new. The curriculum is constantly changing, but the powers that be really are trying to make it a better school all the time. We actually just had some of them come shadow us (the students) on our rotations so they can get a better idea of what skills they should give us during the first two years.

It's crazy expensive. And the third year sites are around new england with one in PA. But it's definitely a supportive atmosphere and super crunchy.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a first year at UNECOM and I agree with docdionne in regards to the supportive atmosphere. The faculty are all willing to help you succeed and are more than willing to talk to you if you have any problems. Also the supportive atmosphere from the second years providing reviews on almost everything pre-block week is probably what helped the majority of the class to do really well. The reviews are something that is super helpful because they sometimes provide mnemonics with anatomy and helpful tips for clinical assessments that we may not otherwise have thought on our own. Idk if the school teaches to the boards, but our statistics for passing COMLEX 1 is pretty high so they must be doing something right,

Also cost of living is pretty low, IMO so it kinda outweighs the high cost of tuition. Let me know if there are any questions.

Go where you think there will be the best education for YOU
1jY6yOa

"Newer satellite campus of school notorious for proliferating vs established school with good reputation, main campus"

@docdionne what does super crunchy describe?

Super crunchy = everyone does yoga, eats organic, etc. As a french fry loving midwesterner, it was a bit of an adjustment, but it was a good kind of peer pressure. I now know what kale is.

Reactions: 3 users
I think curriculum style is a pretty big difference between the two. IIRC, TouroNY has a lot (all?) flipped classroom while UNECOM has more of a blend between traditional lecture-based mixed with PBL.

Hi everyone!

Thanks

I have made my opinion very clear numerous times on this matter, its always better to go a well established school that has been around for a while. UNECOM is a well established school that is nearly 40 years old. My advice would be to choose UNECOM.

I might be contradicting myself saying this because I go to a school that was founded in 1995, which is one of the newer schools, but my school is a branch of one of the oldest and best DO schools in the country, so its an exception.

If you go to the newer DO schools, sure during the first two years, the education you get is the pretty much the same everywhere, but the differences will become apparent once you enter your clinical years, and that is the most crucial part of your medical education.

Last edited:
Well, just to muddy the waters a bit more, let me offer you this: TouroCOM is boards oriented. Like very, very boards oriented. They seem to know what the boards test and absolutely beat it into you, module after module. You will laugh at the Pharm, Immuno and OMM on the boards because you have heard it a million friggin times. So established program or not, Touro will give you a great education. If you don't pass the boards, its not them, its you. Oh and they own several medical schools, including NYMC and several PA schools as well. They know what they are doing. Good luck.

I shadowed a few doctors and worked with people who went to UNECOM and Touro in NYC. So many great clinical opportunities in NYC at great hospitals and excellent pathology. UNECOM is great, and the campus is nice. But I would go to Harlem.

In residency at an ACGME place, I've worked with students and residents from both UNECOM and Touro-Harlem. Both seem good, but I'd give the slight edge to the ones from UNECOM.

Plus UNECOM has Dr Wood as dean, former dean of the the school I went to. He was really good, and we missed his influence when he left.

In residency at an ACGME place, I've worked with students and residents from both UNECOM and Touro-Harlem. Both seem good, but I'd give the slight edge to the ones from UNECOM.

Plus UNECOM has Dr Wood as dean, former dean of the the school I went to. He was really good, and we missed his influence when he left.
Dean Wood is actually retiring! Huge loss for the school.