Touro Montana Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.) can residency be done in any state after graduating medical school?

2.) is there an issue with being the first inaugural class for a medical school? Will there be an issue with accreditation in the future?

3.) is there anything I should be know before attending Touro?

I’m incredible happy that I got an acceptance and I really love many things about the Touro Montana campus from location to opportunities. I really want to thank many of the greats in SDN for helping me and advising me through my journey such as @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
1.) can residency be done in any state after graduating medical school?

2.) is there an issue with being the first inaugural class for a medical school? Will there be an issue with accreditation in the future?

3.) is there anything I should be know before attending Touro?

I’m incredible happy that I got an acceptance and I really love many things about the Touro Montana campus from location to opportunities. I really want to thank many of the greats in SDN for helping me and advising me through my journey such as @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM
1. Yes but look into NRMP Match and how matching into residency work.
2. Accredidation: no issues. Touro is accredited. Issues with being the inagural class? I think this is a possibility. No upper classmen to rely on, not knowing who your professors are, definitely will have some kinks to workout being a new class/new campus.
3. Can't help you there, turned down my A to Touro Montana. Good luck and congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend new schools unless it's your only option. It takes a couple graduating classes for the school to get their faculty and students up to speed. Initial board scores for the inaugural class can be a little lower than more established schools. Nothing you cant overcome. You can most certainly match successfully, but older established schools have a regional reputation for their graduates, where it takes a few years for the new school earn it. It's all up to you from here on. Do the best you can in class and on boards. The residency matching game is evolving each year, so stay up to date with the current status and play the match game well. Congrats on the acceptance!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@HappyPerson If this is where you attend (congrats btw!), I wanted to just throw something out here. Down the road, as you enter your third year for rotations and fourth year, please seek out some advice from a third year or fourth year student you trust (they maybe from another school), if you meet them during your hospital rotations. Since you won’t have a class above you, I recommend you try to find a mentor when you get to this stage in your career because it can help you immensely when preparing for auditions and residency applications, which is stuff you don’t have to worry about yet.

Good luck with everything and If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out my friend.

Reactions: 2 users
3. Only vaguely unusual thing about Touros are that they are Orthodox Jewish sponsored so food at events has to be Kosher and they blow a Shofar at some special events. There are optional weekly lunches with the school’s rabbi. Other than that the religion is present only in the values/mission (broadly Judaism emphasizes education, social justice… nothing unusual for a medical school). It’s not a religion that seeks to convert or dictate the lives of others so it’s not really noticeable at the school.

Half of my family is Jewish (reform aka liberal) and I go to TUNCOM so message if you have any questions

Depends what you mean as a lot of medical schools tend to place students into programs within the region but this may be due to student choice also certain areas like the coasts will be harder to match coming from a relatively new school

Reactions: 1 user
1. Yes but look into NRMP Match and how matching into residency work.
2. Accredidation: no issues. Touro is accredited. Issues with being the inagural class? I think this is a possibility. No upper classmen to rely on, not knowing who your professors are, definitely will have some kinks to workout being a new class/new campus.
3. Can't help you there, turned down my A to Touro Montana. Good luck and congrats!!
Thank you!

I don't recommend new schools unless it's your only option. It takes a couple graduating classes for the school to get their faculty and students up to speed. Initial board scores for the inaugural class can be a little lower than more established schools. Nothing you cant overcome. You can most certainly match successfully, but older established schools have a regional reputation for their graduates, where it takes a few years for the new school earn it. It's all up to you from here on. Do the best you can in class and on boards. The residency matching game is evolving each year, so stay up to date with the current status and play the match game well. Congrats on the acceptance!
Thank you so much!

@HappyPerson If this is where you attend (congrats btw!), I wanted to just throw something out here. Down the road, as you enter your third year for rotations and fourth year, please seek out some advice from a third year or fourth year student you trust (they maybe from another school), if you meet them during your hospital rotations. Since you won’t have a class above you, I recommend you try to find a mentor when you get to this stage in your career because it can help you immensely when preparing for auditions and residency applications, which is stuff you don’t have to worry about yet.

Good luck with everything and If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out my friend.
Awesome advice I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
3. Only vaguely unusual thing about Touros are that they are Orthodox Jewish sponsored so food at events has to be Kosher and they blow a Shofar at some special events. There are optional weekly lunches with the school’s rabbi. Other than that the religion is present only in the values/mission (broadly Judaism emphasizes education, social justice… nothing unusual for a medical school). It’s not a religion that seeks to convert or dictate the lives of others so it’s not really noticeable at the school.

Half of my family is Jewish (reform aka liberal) and I go to TUNCOM so message if you have any questions
I appreciate the information!