TOURO-NY Admissions Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent admissions stats for Touro-NY?

I know on their website they have Class of 2013 Demographics, but I have also heard that the GPA/MCAT averages have gone way up in the past couple of years. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is out yet for the class of 2016 because I assume it isn't finalized, but I would imagine it might have gone up a little bit this year because of their accreditation?

Does anyone have any recent admissions stats for Touro-NY?

I know on their website they have Class of 2013 Demographics, but I have also heard that the GPA/MCAT averages have gone way up in the past couple of years. Anyone know?

C/O 2015 (Those that entered Fall 2011)
MCAT: 25
Sci GPA: 3.3
Cum GPA: 3.3
Age Range: 21-49

Touro is also one of the most diverse COM that I have seen. 56% of the C/O 2015 identified with a minority group and 16% were URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with a 3.22/33.

nyitcomand touro-ny both have averages of something like 3.6/29ish after this year

Touro is also one of the most diverse COM that I have seen. 56% of the C/O 2015 identified with a minority group and 16% were URM.

Source? I'd be shocked if their numbers were really that low in this competitive day and age.

i call bs on that, thats pretty much MD stats

no bs. simple extrapolation from last year:

nycom 2015 was at 3.6/28
touro-ny 2105 3.4/28
ouhcom 2015 3.66/27
umdnj-som 2015 is 3.6/28

Last edited:
So one person said 3.3/25 and one 3.4/28 for c/o 2015 lol.

no bs. simple extrapolation from last year:

nycom 2015 was at 3.6/28
touro-ny 2105 3.4/28
ouhcom 2015 3.66/27
umdnj-som 2015 is 3.6/28

if these are true, then in only a matter of time, DO admission will be just as competitive as MD.

I will definitely apply at TOURO then...

Members don't see this ad :)
Source? I'd be shocked if their numbers were really that low in this competitive day and age.

They gave out a folder during interviews that had the stats for the C/O 2013 and 2015. It also had the stats for post-bac.

touro-ny
i have the hard copy they gave out at the interview

This is false. Unless they gave each interview group different stats to confuse us, this is false. I have the hard copy scanned and in a .pdf file. I'm not sure how to post it publicly but if anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll try to send it.

Edit:
The only thing I can find that is remotely close to the stats you posted are those for the C/O 2012
http://www.touro.edu/med/demo2012.html

They gave out a folder during interviews that had the stats for the C/O 2013 and 2015. It also had the stats for post-bac.

This is false. Unless they gave each interview group different stats to confuse us, this is false. I have the hard copy scanned and in a .pdf file. I'm not sure how to post it publicly but if anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll try to send it.

Edit:
The only thing I can find that is remotely close to the stats you posted are those for the C/O 2012
http://www.touro.edu/med/demo2012.html

listen, what you wrote about a 3.3/25 average is absolutely untrue. they list a 3.4/27 on the webpage you just posted for the 2012 matriculants. the 3.4/28 is for students accepted.

I just checked the hard copy i received during the interview day:
class of 2015
mcat 25
gpa 3.3

class of 2013
mcat 27
gpa 3.3

class of 2015
mcat 25
gpa 3.3

class of 2013
mcat 27
gpa 3.3
Are you saying the mcat average of matriculated students is going down?

Touro is my first choice. Just trying to gauge how competitive I may be (3.45/3.45/MCAT TBD ~29/30). I was looking through last year's 2011-2012 application thread and I noticed those posting had really high stats so I was curious because their website stats are outdated.

Touro is my first choice. Just trying to gauge how competitive I may be (3.45/3.45/MCAT TBD ~29/30). I was looking through last year's 2011-2012 application thread and I noticed those posting had really high stats so I was curious because their website stats are outdated.

you're competitive. just know that, really the only thing tourocom has going for it, is its location. that's why it attracts a ton of top applicants despite being relatively new. 3/4th yr rotations are all outside manhattan, mostly concentrated in jersey, upstate ny, and one site in queens. tuition is decent. 1st two years are standard everywhere.

listen, what you wrote about a 3.3/25 average is absolutely untrue. they list a 3.4/27 on the webpage you just posted for the 2012 matriculants. the 3.4/28 is for students accepted.

Perhaps you should read my post more carefully. I posted the stats for the C/O 2015.

I brought up the C/O 2012 stats because it was the closest to the numbers you posted. I'm not sure if Touro was playing some sick joke on you when they handed out the interview folders but the rest of us got a sheet with the stats I posted earlier.

The only other possibly I can see where you could get those stats is for the C/O 2014. For some reason they gave us stats for 2013 and 2015 but not for 2014. I have never heard of Touro posting stats for those accepted vs those who matriculate.

class of 2015
mcat 25
gpa 3.3

Thank You!

Last edited:
class of 2015
mcat 25
gpa 3.3

class of 2013
mcat 27
gpa 3.3

:eek:

Wow. Stark exception to the trend I guess.

any idea how the stats look for these classes if you take out the stats of the master's students?

Are you saying the mcat average of matriculated students is going down?

It seems to be that way. Although some people may view that as a red flag, I think it may be a good thing. There was an article going around that stated those with lower MCAT scores were more likely to go into primary care. Since Touro's mission is to recruit students who are interested in serving underserved areas as PCPs, it seems that this might be one explanation as to why the MCAT avg went down.

any idea how the stats look for these classes if you take out the stats of the master's students?

Not sure but 33% of the C/O 2015 had a graduate degree.

you're competitive. just know that, really the only thing tourocom has going for it, is its location. that's why it attracts a ton of top applicants despite being relatively new. 3/4th yr rotations are all outside manhattan, mostly concentrated in jersey, upstate ny, and one site in queens. tuition is decent. 1st two years are standard everywhere.

Hi there!

Could you please cite where you got this info from? I've been trying to find out where tourocom's 3/4th year rotations are. Thank in advance

if these are true, then in only a matter of time, DO admission will be just as competitive as MD.
It's also an effect of people becoming much more aware of this route of medicine. More schools are opening up and more people want to be doctors. I read somewhere that in a matter of 3 or so years 1 in every 4 medical students will be from an Osteopathic College. The Caribbean will be suffering real soon.

also staten island and a 2nd site in queens

Last edited:
It's also an effect of people becoming much more aware of this route of medicine. More schools are opening up and more people want to be doctors. I read somewhere that in a matter of 3 or so years 1 in every 4 medical students will be from an Osteopathic College. The Caribbean will be suffering real soon.

not if caribbean schools start morphing into for-profit DO schools on the mainland (see rvucom, rhode island com)

Perhaps you should read my post more carefully. I posted the stats for the C/O 2015.

I brought up the C/O 2012 stats because it was the closest to the numbers you posted. I'm not sure if Touro was playing some sick joke on you when they handed out the interview folders but the rest of us got a sheet with the stats I posted earlier.

i was there in october.

not if caribbean schools start morphing into for-profit DO schools on the mainland (see rvucom, rhode island com)
I was speaking about the students and that pathway in general, but yes, they will morph for sure. And honestly, I don't know if it's entirely a bad thing. Money talks in this society. Their money can bring the D.O. degree into the spotlight. Their money can even help lobby congress to open more residencies.

This map is ancient, it was for the class of 2012/2011.

Since then several new sites have been added. from the top of my head for 2014/2015: 3 in north jersey; 2 in long island; 1 about 80 miles north of the city; 1 25 miles north of the city; several clinics in manhattan, queens, and NJ; psych (possibly others for 2015) in manhattan; 1 in philly. JCMC and Bronx lebanon are not with touro anymore.

Someone should ask the school for a more current list of sites and create an up to date map.

Last edited: