Toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajnak182

MCATretaker4life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the only upper division bio class I've taken is biochem and I'm considering taking toxicology at a satellite university campus. I was wondering if it is possible to take a toxicology course and do well with no prior toxicology knowledge. I do well in science courses and am up for a challenge, but I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew :confused:. Thanks for your help.

AJ

Members don't see this ad.

Hi AJ,

Can you contact the professor of this course (or last year's course) and look at the syllabus? That might be a good starting point so that you can look at the material and get an idea of whether you can handle it. I don't think that it would be a problem for you, esp. since you've designated that you do well in the sciences. However, I wouldn't take a full courseload of science classes... not that you wouldn't be able to handle it.. but you may be unnecessarily stressed out. You should treat this course as any other course that you've had little to no prior experience with - study hard and ask questions when you don't understand something. If you find the course is too overwhelming in the first few days, you can always drop it.

Best,
H&T

Good call on the "contacting the prof." advice, that's exactly what I'm going to do. :thumbup: I plan on working next year and taking toxicology as a night class, so I will have plenty of time to focus on that one class. Thanks for your input.

AJ

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're planning to work during the day it's good to take only 1 hardcore tox course at night. Most MPH programs require some kind of core classes like health policy or basic research methods - take something like that as your second course so you don't want to kill the world by the end of your first semester! Good luck :thumbup:

I think there is a wide variety of tox courses out there as far as intensity goes. But if it's something you want to do and are interested in, even a "killer" class might be very enjoyable and rewarding (and a lot of work, but you might not notice).