TPR 2015 workbook thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on TPR 2015 workbook? I thought TPR WB was great practice for the old exam but I'm not quit sure how to feel about using it to prepare for the current exam. Obviously more practice doesn't hurt, but I'm wondering if I could use my time more wisely practicing with other sources. I need a really good practice source besides FLs (and TBR - not a huge fan of using it for the new exam either).

I also feel like TPR WB just reinforces what I already know, doesn't explain things I do not know well enough, and is not very effective at actually teaching me my points of weakness.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanna piggy back on this post...

I'm curious about this too. I've been wondering if I should buy some full lengths (e.g. EK tests 1-4 or NS tests 1-6) and use those as practice passages (like as in not take them all at once as a full length). I have enough full lengths to do those as a 7.5 hour test day experience, but I'm just looking for practice passages to do on the daily. Is it better to buy some full lengths, split up the sections, and complete the passages each day throughout a week or so per test? Or are science workbooks better for passage practice (e.g. TPR science workbook or TBR passages from their content books)?

BTW, I already have the AAMC Q-packs and Section Bank but I wanna save those for my last month of studying. I need some practice passages that will last me 2 months before I start the AAMC stuff. Any suggestions?

What are everyone's thoughts on TPR 2015 workbook? I thought TPR WB was great practice for the old exam but I'm not quit sure how to feel about using it to prepare for the current exam. Obviously more practice doesn't hurt, but I'm wondering if I could use my time more wisely practicing with other sources. I need a really good practice source besides FLs (and TBR - not a huge fan of using it for the new exam either).

I also feel like TPR WB just reinforces what I already know, doesn't explain things I do not know well enough, and is not very effective at actually teaching me my points of weakness.

Thoughts?
I took the TPR course and they had the TPR workbook. I did the majority of the passages in the book. I would say if you're looking for passages that reflect the style of AAMC passages (the ones you'll see on test day), then the workbook isn't the best source. However, I found the workbook to be great for content review in the sciences. The biology passages are straight up memorization for the most part though. I will say though that TPR's online passages (the ones you get in the course) are great because they're pretty analytical and challenging, just like the ones you'll see on the actual MCAT. I don't know why TPR doesn't update their workbook to have the online passages in the workbook.
You can also get the TBR books too for the subjects you're struggling with. They got passages too but are pretty complex. I found TPR passages to be more understandable. I don't think you can go wrong with either TPR or TBR but I preferred TPR. I got a 516. Good luck!

I took the TPR course and they had the TPR workbook. I did the majority of the passages in the book. I would say if you're looking for passages that reflect the style of AAMC passages (the ones you'll see on test day), then the workbook isn't the best source. However, I found the workbook to be great for content review in the sciences. The biology passages are straight up memorization for the most part though. I will say though that TPR's online passages (the ones you get in the course) are great because they're pretty analytical and challenging, just like the ones you'll see on the actual MCAT. I don't know why TPR doesn't update their workbook to have the online passages in the workbook.
You can also get the TBR books too for the subjects you're struggling with. They got passages too but are pretty complex. I found TPR passages to be more understandable. I don't think you can go wrong with either TPR or TBR but I preferred TPR. I got a 516. Good luck!

How would you typically go about using the TPR Workbook on a daily basis? Was there a certain amount of passages you would do per day? Did you read your content books first and then go to the workbook? Or would you do passages from the workbook first and then go review your content books? Do you consider doing each passage from the TPR SWB and reviewing the solutions to each question enough for content review?

Also, did you use the in-class Compendium? If so, what do you think of that resource and how is it best used?

How would you typically go about using the TPR Workbook on a daily basis? Was there a certain amount of passages you would do per day? Did you read your content books first and then go to the workbook? Or would you do passages from the workbook first and then go review your content books? Do you consider doing each passage from the TPR SWB and reviewing the solutions to each question enough for content review?

Also, did you use the in-class Compendium? If so, what do you think of that resource and how is it best used?
I took a TPR course. My daily schedule (if I remember correctly):
(1) Go to class.
(2) After class, do 4 passages timed and without looking at answers.
(3) Review answers. (2 and 3 took an hour for me)
(4) Take a break.
(5) Repeat 2 and 3.
(6) Read the next chapter(s) for the next class.

That sounds killer and it kinda was but I didn't stick to this exact schedule every day. I also didn't really use the in-class compendium except for in class. If you take the course, I highly recommend the online passages which I've stated in a different post up above. Is this enough for content review? At least for me it was. Depends on what you need to work on. I did this for a little more than 3 months. Good luck!