TPR or EK for someone who isn't great at orgo&physics/graduated last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgrl1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I know there's an MCAT forum but I find that more people respond on this forum, so:
Any recommendations for either the TPR or EK prep course? I have good foundation of all the sciences but I've always struggled more with orgo/physics. I've heard wonderful things about EK, but that was coming from 2 people who were pretty good at chem/physics and taking it at the time. I haven't taken those courses in about a year. I've also heard EK is best for a refresher. I need something in between a refresher and a solid review of material. What would you suggest? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, TPR books are more comprehensive. I had better results after I put in the time and got through TPR, even though it took longer/more hours of reading and note taking.

For any prep course, from any company, your experience will really boil down to your instructors. Unfortunately, despite all of those companies' efforts to standardize and train their instructors, every one is going to differ and depending on the level they bring to the classroom, your experience can be great, or terrible. The instructors that teach not only vary region to region, but also from class to class based on instructors availability and other factors, so even if I told you I had a great time with _____ company, that wouldn't help you at all realistically. I would suggest talking to people who have taken the course around your area or asking each company if they would put you in contact with people that have taken the course previously. If all else fails, go with the company who's curriculum/test prep materials you like more, if the class ends up sucking, you might as well have good books/materials to fall back on.

In my experience, TPR books are more comprehensive. I had better results after I put in the time and got through TPR, even though it took longer/more hours of reading and note taking.
I second this.

OP, if you're not confident about some subjects, you need to do TPR. Just as you mentioned, EK is a nice refresher *when you already know the material*, but to actually learn it TPR is best. Plus, EK doesn't offer adequate practice, which is crucial in MCAT preparation, while TPR Science Workbook is worth its weight in gold. Seriously, go buy it and do your best going through most passages and questions in it. The way some of the passages are set up, you're actually learning some information from them.