TPR Review Test 1 B/BC #16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following could cause hypersensitivity?
  1. Ingestion of some foods
  2. Activation of mast cells
  3. Injection of antibiotics
A)I only

B)I and II only

C)I and III only

D)II and III only

I is obviously true. I didn't think III was true since I hadn't really heard about antibiotic allergies, but I no see it is possible.
For II, relevant part of passage is this: "These symptoms of anaphylaxis are entirely attributable to the materials released by activated mast cells." I interpret this to mean mast cells releasing chemical will CAUSE anaphylaxis/hypersensitivity so II should be true. However, TPR interprets it as follows: "activated mast cells would be a RESULT of hypersensitivity and not the cause" - hence, TPR says II is false. Why is this so?
Also, in general, any tips to avoid semantics and cause-effect mistakes/misinterpretations like these?

Members don't see this ad.

yea this is definitely a bad question. What does it say hypersensitivity is in the passage?

Sorry should clarify: for this question, hypersensitivity is interchangeable with anaphylaxis.
My main concern, though, is comprehending the cause-effect relationship the right way.

yea I wouldve thought I and II were correct as well. This question doesnt make since though because histamine released from activated mast cells is what causes the anaphylactic reaction. Without the activation of mast cells there is no hypersensitivity.