TPRH Science Workbook and Timed Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should be concerned with time practices for the passages in TPRH Science Workbook? I know that a lot of these passages have 8 questions (not including the Advanced Passages). I am trying to work on test-taking strategies. I find myself taking 10 min or more on some of these passages. Should I just use 1.35 min x the number of questions to determine the time to spend on these lengthier passages? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, nice decision on using the Science Workbook! I thought it was one of the main reasons why I did so well on BS and PS. I would recommend you go through the discrete sections without timing and just use those for content review.

For the passages, it would depend. Sometimes I timed myself and see if I could finish a 7-question passage in like 6-7 minutes to push myself, while other times I did not even time myself. It all depends on whether you have been having trouble finishing the BS/PS sections on the AAMC practice exams. If so, then YES; take this opportunity to improve your pacing skills. But if you have been finishing with lots of time to spare (10-20 minutes) then by all means, don't worry about timing and just use it as a nice content review.

Trust me, it's one of the best things to use when reviewing all of the concepts. I mean, what better way to review than by practicing questions!?

Yeah, that is hard on the timing with TPR workbooks. I know some of the passages had like 10 to 12 questions!

1:35 per question means 11 minutes for a 7Q passage? Definitely aim to increase this rate towards more like 1 min per question target. Key word = target. Of course there will be passages that take 8 or 9 minutes, but if you give yourself room you will take that room. . . you risk convincing yourself that every passage is a 9 minute passage and suddenly you will run out of time. I definitely started at 15+min per passage and was able to get to the 7-8 minute range.

For two reasons I would time 90% if not all of your practice passages.
1. If you don't it will take FOREVER to finish the book.
2. If you don't, you cheat yourself out of opportunities to push yourself.

Some of those passages are riDICulous. In these cases I would do my best within time, and mark the ones I was unsure of. Then, I would go back and take extra time on the real stinkers, using textbook and google to support my answer selection. Then I would correct. Use these beauties to guide extra complex topic review. But always always remember, this is the Catalina Wine Mixer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs0uLXodDVA

Don't :think" you are ready for this, DECLARE it. PAOW!

I would say if you're not too worried about timing just time the *advanced passages at the end of each subject section. A majority of the passages in the TPR workbook took me 3-4 minutes, so it really wasn't that comparable to actual MCAT passages. Honestly most of those questions in the passages are pseudo-discretes. They just take a buttload of time because there are so many in total, but they are great practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have timing issues sometimes when using equations given in a passage, but most often I have 5 minutes to review marked/incomplete questions. Some questions/passages stump me, so I have to take longer on them. Those Advanced passages are beasts! I end up missing half or all but 1 question, LOL. I'm trying not to spend more than 8 min on a passage but some passages require 4 or 5 minutes tops. Thanks.

What I would do was pick 4 physics, 4 chem, 6 bio and 2 orgo passages for a simulated test (and however many discretes are on the MCAT- can't remember) and give myself 60 minutes for all PS or BS like the MCAT. Then If I didn't finish within the allotted time, I would just add the proper amount of time related to how many more questions I was doing than the real thing (as in x/52*60 - 60).

Obviously you can work this out ahead of time too, but I'm kinda lazy.