Tracheostomy ventilation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GASPER20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a patient with a cuffless tracheostomy tube, is it possible when you hook them up to the vent to not see adequate TV or ETCO2? Could the patient be breathing around the trach site via their mouth/nose and therefore I can't detect it?

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite technique for the cuffless trach that you don’t want to change: place an LMA, and then place a clamp across the LMA instead of hooking it up to anything. Wouldn’t do this for a long procedure, but for a 5 minute thing it works surprisingly well

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For a patient with a cuffless tracheostomy tube, is it possible when you hook them up to the vent to not see adequate TV or ETCO2? Could the patient be breathing around the trach site via their mouth/nose and therefore I can't detect it?
Uh yea it's called a leak.

Reactions: 1 user
Leave the cuffless trach and let them breath spontaneously for short cases were you have access to the head. Anything other than that, I’d get them deep on gas and than change to a cuffed for controlled or assisted ventilation.

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite technique for the cuffless trach that you don’t want to change: place an LMA, and then place a clamp across the LMA instead of hooking it up to anything. Wouldn’t do this for a long procedure, but for a 5 minute thing it works surprisingly well
Just tape their air holes closed with duct tape.
Or, wheel them into the emergency department and ask them to place an ETT; perfect Sengstaken-Blakemore tube every time.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Yeah but wouldn't it leak around the stoma site regardless of seal above?