Trad applicant thinking of turning into a Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Food

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a traditional re-Applicant right now, for the class of 2014. However, since I was totally aloof to the possibility of failure last cycle, I am weighing all my options right now, in case I don't make it in on my second attempt. I was wondering if there are any people who don't get in on their 2nd time re-app, get a masters or PhD and then work for a few years and try again. I have my BsC in Chem, and was thinking that I could apply for a Masters in Chemical E or something practical. I could re-apply for a 3rd time (since my MCAT is good for 1 more year) and if I still don't make it in, I could at least get a job. After working for 2 years or so, would I be re-applying (4th application) as a non-trad? What sort of problems could you see with this plan?

I don't want to do an SMP or a 1 years masters. Those degrees are virtually good for nothing (job-wise) and are enormous risks. I mean I guess it's an option, but not a very practical or safe option. What do you think? I guess my only other options are to do Teach for America or something - how does that look on a med-school app?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a traditional re-Applicant right now, for the class of 2014. However, since I was totally aloof to the possibility of failure last cycle, I am weighing all my options right now, in case I don't make it in on my second attempt. I was wondering if there are any people who don't get in on their 2nd time re-app, get a masters or PhD and then work for a few years and try again. I have my BsC in Chem, and was thinking that I could apply for a Masters in Chemical E or something practical. I could re-apply for a 3rd time (since my MCAT is good for 1 more year) and if I still don't make it in, I could at least get a job. After working for 2 years or so, would I be re-applying (4th application) as a non-trad? What sort of problems could you see with this plan?

I don't want to do an SMP or a 1 years masters. Those degrees are virtually good for nothing (job-wise) and are enormous risks. I mean I guess it's an option, but not a very practical or safe option. What do you think? I guess my only other options are to do Teach for America or something - how does that look on a med-school app?

I don't see why you wouldn't get in somewhere. Your GPA is slightly lower than the average for MD programs, but you got a 38 on your MCAT. I'm wondering why you didn't get accepted last cycle. Did you get any interviews? Did you only apply to top twenty schools last year?

I admire your dedication. If I go two rounds, I'm outta the running.

As to your question, I'm ambivalent. Every Master's program I know if is 2 years long unless it's related to med school or SMP, etc. I doubt you'll find a Master's in Chem E. that's only one year. So, med schools will ask if you're just going to quit the program to start medical school. Neither answer is really a good one, as quitting half-way through doesn't look good, but automatically deferring isn't going to make them happy either.

I think honestly an Americorps position would be a good option. They're 1 year long and I think it would look good on an app. If you're serious about the Master's in Chem. E, be prepared to take out two years for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I admire your dedication. If I go two rounds, I'm outta the running.

As to your question, I'm ambivalent. Every Master's program I know if is 2 years long unless it's related to med school or SMP, etc. I doubt you'll find a Master's in Chem E. that's only one year. So, med schools will ask if you're just going to quit the program to start medical school. Neither answer is really a good one, as quitting half-way through doesn't look good, but automatically deferring isn't going to make them happy either.

I think honestly an Americorps position would be a good option. They're 1 year long and I think it would look good on an app. If you're serious about the Master's in Chem. E, be prepared to take out two years for it.

Thanks -

You are right. Any MS in Chem E will be 2 years. My plan was to drop the Masters if able to gain admission to med school for fall 2011. If I don't get admission, I can continue the degree. I suppose dropping a Masters half-way through is not allowed?

I don't see why you wouldn't get in somewhere. Your GPA is slightly lower than the average for MD programs, but you got a 38 on your MCAT. I'm wondering why you didn't get accepted last cycle. Did you get any interviews? Did you only apply to top twenty schools last year?

1 interview that turned into a waitlist. I applied to some top 20s, some middle tier private OOS, and all my state schools. Reason for non-acceptance was probably related to clinical and volunteering experience. I improved this substantially this cycle and re-applied. However, I still only have 1 interview invite...though of course I can keep waiting for a while.

1 interview that turned into a waitlist. I applied to some top 20s, some middle tier private OOS, and all my state schools. Reason for non-acceptance was probably related to clinical and volunteering experience. I improved this substantially this cycle and re-applied. However, I still only have 1 interview invite...though of course I can keep waiting for a while.

I could see if you had no clinical experience why you wouldn't get accepted anywhere. However, even the standard shadowing/volunteering/research stuff should have been OK.

Getting a master's as a backup plan is a very practical alternative, but will you be happy in the long-term? Have you completely negated the DO option? I think you would have a good chance.

I could see if you had no clinical experience why you wouldn't get accepted anywhere. However, even the standard shadowing/volunteering/research stuff should have been OK.

Getting a master's as a backup plan is a very practical alternative, but will you be happy in the long-term? Have you completely negated the DO option? I think you would have a good chance.

I only listed 9 activities on AMCAS last time around - and completely neglected to mention my shadowing. Out of those only 2 were volunteering experiences, and the 1 clinical experience out of that was in high school. The rest were not very well written/compelling. This year I've added 2 new clinical volunteering experiences, 2 shadowing experiences, and re-written my research and volunteering experiences in a much more detailed manner. I figured that would be enough to make a difference. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Coming from a heavy engineering background:

1. It'll be hard to find a MS program in ChemE that is one year
2. It will be even longer since you are coming from a Chemistry background--you'll have to take a semester or two of general engineering classes.

3. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT go into a PhD program to kill time. If you have no interest in research, you'll find this to be a painful 3-4 years.

Coming from a heavy engineering background:

1. It'll be hard to find a MS program in ChemE that is one year
2. It will be even longer since you are coming from a Chemistry background--you'll have to take a semester or two of general engineering classes.

3. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT go into a PhD program to kill time. If you have no interest in research, you'll find this to be a painful 3-4 years.

Yeah, I know it will be 2 years. That was the point - I could drop it midway if successful during 3rd application, and continue if unsuccessful.

I agree with you about the PhD - I would simply do the masters and get a job. I also realize I'd have to take 2-3 undergrad engineering courses. But I'm confident in my ability to take on the challenge of going engineering after coming from a theoretical background.

Food,

Depending on the MS ChemE program, it might be a bit more than 2-3 courses. I know Physics majors -> MechE masters sometimes have to take an entire gamut of courses, ranging from Statics/Solids to Thermal Fluids Systems.

Another thing you want to keep in mind is that if you do a MS thesis, you'll most likely be funded (TAship or GRAship) and quitting will be a very sour option--you'll probably piss of your adviser/university.

On the other hand you could do a MS coursework only BUT you'll have to pay for it. Leaving early will be costly.

Food,

Depending on the MS ChemE program, it might be a bit more than 2-3 courses. I know Physics majors -> MechE masters sometimes have to take an entire gamut of courses, ranging from Statics/Solids to Thermal Fluids Systems.

Another thing you want to keep in mind is that if you do a MS thesis, you'll most likely be funded (TAship or GRAship) and quitting will be a very sour option--you'll probably piss of your adviser/university.

On the other hand you could do a MS coursework only BUT you'll have to pay for it. Leaving early will be costly.

Correct - I am looking to do a pure coursework MS. I understand I'll have to take on roughly 20k of loans per year of the MS. As for the courses, I'm going to go ahead and talk to an adviser about it. At MS level, I shouldn't need the full range of undergrad Chem E courses - 2-3 courses in a particular field of Chem E should do. All I really need is the pre-reqs for MS level courses, right?

Due to a large number of students doing the first year of a master's degree with the intention of dropping out after the first year if they get into medical schools, quite a few medical schools now require you to have any in progress graduate degrees complete before you can begin med. school. I'd would be very careful with that plan. It's a requirement listed on a lot of the med school websites I've checked out.

Due to a large number of students doing the first year of a master's degree with the intention of dropping out after the first year if they get into medical schools, quite a few medical schools now require you to have any in progress graduate degrees complete before you can begin med. school. I'd would be very careful with that plan. It's a requirement listed on a lot of the med school websites I've checked out.

Thanks - I will look into this very carefully.