Training with LSAT verbal passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brudog59

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to study for MCAT verbal using LSAT practice passages. I've heard that they may be useful because they are typically more difficult than those on the MCAT (playing devil's advocate on that one).

Members don't see this ad.

I studied using GMAT passages, but I'm sure LSAT passages would be ok. The GMAT passages were similar in style but much more difficult (there's no need to hem and haw about that). The answer keys in "The official GMAT study guide" (or whatever it is called, available from MBA.com; they sell a verbal book and that's all you need) are much more in depth than any AAMC answer key, as well.
You've got to understand that they are similar but not entirely the same. There are distinct differences in question type/answer type/and passage type. Even with all those differences, I owe my 12 VR score to those GMAT prep tests.

I did gmat and lsat verbal towards the end of my studying. I think they are too different (especially lsat--it has choices A to E!!) from the mcat that you probably would be better off doing more mcat passages--unless, maybe, if you're at the high end (12+) of the scoring range and are looking for more difficult/diverse material to nail those last few incorrects. I was scoring almost all 11's on different practice tests, and it didn't help me a lick.

why do the other tests when there is so much mcat stuff out there? if there was a lack of material then i would consider it.. but im already swamped as it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
nekrogg said:
why do the other tests when there is so much mcat stuff out there? if there was a lack of material then i would consider it.. but im already swamped as it is!
It's not just about prep material quantity, it's about prep material quality.
I did it because it's cheaper than the Kaplan and TPR prep materials, and the answer keys are much better (really, I can't overstate this - looking at the answer keys should be as important to you as sitting down to take the test itself).
It's also harder. I don't really like the Kaplan and TPR practice tests. I looked at one after I took an AAMC MCAT and thought, "Wow, these aren't like the AAMC tests at all." I never felt that way with the GMAT tests. As I used the GMAT tests my AAMC test scores started to rise, which didn't happen after the kaplan tests. But to each their own.

I have been doing a combination of LSAT, Kaplan and EK for verbal prep. The LSAT ones are different because they require much more precise answers whereas the MCAT passages are more "touchy-feely" in my opinion. I did an AAMC passage the other day and many of the answers are wishy-washy compared to the LSAT answers. An LSAT question may have a set of answers that are all very similar but have slight differences in logic that you have to decipher. The MCAT passages seem poorly written compared to the LSAT passages. Overall I think they have been helpful in learning to read for precision but I wouldn't spend too much time on them. If you buy all 7 AAMC exams that should be enough to work through from now until the MCAT.

jebus said:
It's not just about prep material quantity, it's about prep material quality.
I did it because it's cheaper than the Kaplan and TPR prep materials, and the answer keys are much better (really, I can't overstate this - looking at the answer keys should be as important to you as sitting down to take the test itself).
It's also harder. I don't really like the Kaplan and TPR practice tests. I looked at one after I took an AAMC MCAT and thought, "Wow, these aren't like the AAMC tests at all." I never felt that way with the GMAT tests. As I used the GMAT tests my AAMC test scores started to rise, which didn't happen after the kaplan tests. But to each their own.

well in my experience kaplan tests are ridiculously hard.. i havent had time to look at my princeton books. Ek 101 is more like the test. so if you want to beat yourself up take the kaplan tests!! they made my blood pressure go way up :mad:

I cant really comment on what you are doing cause i have never even seen a gmat passage before but hey why mess up a good thing

but anyways best of luck to you :)