Transfer of Retirement Accounts after Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMan14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am to begin investing during Residency (that is a good idea we have concluded no?); how am I to switch that retirement account to a 401k or Employee offered benefit plan when I do change my employment status by joining private practice and or a hospital? Are Retirement accounts transferable in such situations?

Members don't see this ad.

If I am to begin investing during Residency (that is a good idea we have concluded no?); how am I to switch that retirement account to a 401k or Employee offered benefit plan when I do change my employment status by joining private practice and or a hospital? Are Retirement accounts transferable in such situations?

I don't think this is right section to post this!

depends on what kind of retirement account you invest in during residency (ira, roth ira, 401K etc.)

for ira's and roths, you wouldnt have to do anything (although after residency, you may not qualify to contribute to a roth anymore but you can always contribute to an ira and then convert it to a roth afterwards i think)

for a 401K, you would have to roll it over after you leave to either your new employer 401k plan or into an ira

i also agree with wolverinepwns, you should ask people who know a bit more about financial laws and such