Transfering from vet schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malhi

UW-Madison SVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just found out that my husband has to move to Texas for a job.
Unfortunately, considering we don't live anywhere close to Texas, I didn't apply to any schools near there.

I haven't been able to find any information on transferring from one vet school to another besides the requirements from the schools' websites. I called TAMU and they didn't seem very encouraging.

Has anyone successfully transferred?

Any advice/insights?

Or is this a question more suited for the veterinary student forum?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Some vet schools allow this, after the first year only/preferably, PROVIDED your GPA is above a 3.0. This information on each school is in the back of the VMSAR book. I would think any american vet school would have a copy in their library. Curriculum match is very important.

Here's what my VMSAR 2008 Edition says for TAMU:

Students requesting advanced standing must meet the following requirements:

1. Must have completed all previous professional veterinary courses in an AVMA accredited college of veterinary medicine.
2. Must have successfully completed the academic term preceding the semester into which student requests admission.
3. Must comply with all requirements for transfer into the university as described in the current catalog.
4. May request transfer only into the second through seventh semesters of the professional curriculum.
5. At the time of matriculation the student must certify by letter that he/she has not been convicted of crimes in the period from first enrollment in the college of veterinary medicine from which the student desires transfer until date of matriculation at TAMU.
6. To request transfer consideration, the student must meet all requirements as posted on the College website at http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/dcvm/admissions/tranferpol.shtml.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information!:)

oops! my fingernails are waaaay too long right now.

thanks!