transferring after first or second year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to transfer after your first or second year?? is it even possible for most schools??

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

very hard. most schools don't give priority to transfer students. it's the last thing they want to do.

i talked with an admission officer. Because I am still waiting for interviews. If I get in any school, i will go. But then I was wandering also, whether it is possible to transfer after 1 or 2 years. He said "negative." He said that it is very difficult to do. You should have a great great great recommendation from a dental school like saying i don't want to lose this student, and like some disaster happened like Katrina. And the school you want to transfer to has to like you and have a space which means somebody has dropped out. The bottom line is very negative. If you are thinking about transfering after one or two years, i would recommend you to reapply. I had a q. which school did you get accepted and where do you want to transfer to, and why? Godd luck

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like it would be in the schools' best interest to accept transfer students, if they have spots open from people who have dropped out. All things being equal, like quality of the school being transferred from, I would think they would want to keep all available spots filled. As some on this forum have pointed out, it is a business, and empty spots means less money.

Don't make transferring part of your plan. It's not like college where it's acceptable to do so. I believe that for the most part, it's looked down upon.