Transferring Dental License to Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snorkeldds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Has anyone from out-of-state tried to get a Florida dental license recently? If so, what documentation did you submit as your "proof of full time practice"?

I have been reading the Florida dental laws and it says that I have to submit a "copy of financial or business records documents, reflecting the dates of employment." What did you use for this?

Additionally, I have to submit a "verified copy of a patient log or appointment schedule"...for the whole 3 years I have already been in practice!

Help! How did you do this?? It seems like an awful lot of info and I'm not even sure I'd be able to get three years worth of patient appointment schedules.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not believe you can become licensed in Florida unless you take the CDCA in Florida.

Do you know if that is a new thing? I took the NERB, now the CDCA, in 2014 and according to their laws posted less than 1 year ago (that I am currently reading for the dental law exam...ugh), I can get a license if submit hoards of paperwork. Just trying to figure out what all that paperwork is supposed to look like.

Have they changed the rules on me in the last two months while I've been getting all of this together?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been interested in this question as well. Lost of confusion due to the mystery surrounding the need to take the board preparation course in the past. Here is an excerpt from 2012 Statues Chapter 466

2.a. As an alternative to the requirements of subparagraph 1., an applicant may submit scores from an American Dental Licensing Examination previously administered in a jurisdiction other than this state after October 1, 2011, and such examination results shall be recognized as valid for the purpose of licensure in this state. A passing score on the American Dental Licensing Examination administered out-of-state shall be the same as the passing score for the American Dental Licensing Examination administered in this state and graded by dentists who are licensed in this state. The examination results are valid for 365 days after the date the official examination results are published. The applicant must have completed the examination after October 1, 2011.

2.a. As an alternative to the requirements of subparagraph 1., an applicant may submit scores from an American Dental Licensing Examination previously administered in a jurisdiction other than this state after October 1, 2011, and such examination results shall be recognized as valid for the purpose of licensure in this state. A passing score on the American Dental Licensing Examination administered out-of-state shall be the same as the passing score for the American Dental Licensing Examination administered in this state and graded by dentists who are licensed in this state. The examination results are valid for 365 days after the date the official examination results are published. The applicant must have completed the examination after October 1, 2011.
b. This subparagraph may not be given retroactive application.
3. If the date of an applicant’s passing American Dental Licensing Examination scores from an examination previously administered in a jurisdiction other than this state under subparagraph 2. is older than 365 days, then such scores shall nevertheless be recognized as valid for the purpose of licensure in this state, but only if the applicant demonstrates that all of the following additional standards have been met:

Etc. Etc.

Florida Board of Dentistry » Dentist- Licensing, Renewals & Information

I don't plan on taking CDCA until next April in another state. Let me know what you find.

It appears that they even accept testing out of state is what has changed. Florida has been very protective in the past.

I would suggest calling the licensing division. They are quick to answer questions like this. You don't even have to give your name.