Transferring during OD school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

74ponderosa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people here know about transferring (i.e. after 1st year)?
Has anyone every heard of anyone doing this?
I know some schools allow it, but I'm curious to know what stories are out there.
Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I swear I saw a question like this in an older thread. So I've been searching & searching, but no luck. :(

It was something along the lines of a person hating their school & wanting to transfer. And responders indicated the original poster would have to retake a year if they transferred.

Wish I could find that thread. I hope you get better answers from others on the forum!

At NECO i heard them say that transferring into/out of that school is possible but highly discouraged because different schools have students learn different skills and take different classes at different times.

Members don't see this ad :)
At NECO i heard them say that transferring into/out of that school is possible but highly discouraged because different schools have students learn different skills and take different classes at different times.

This is something that concerned me, too, when I thought how it might be to transfer. In undergraduate study, one simply encounters a number of courses; with an O.D. program, though, different schools have sometimes quite varied breakdowns of information over the four years of education. Learning something "twice" might not be so bad, but missing something altogether, ....

It depends on the schools. In general, I've heard most schools are reluctant to accept transfer students, barring extreme circumstances. I would call the schools in question and ask (anonymously, if it is a school you have been accepted to).

Info from SCCO's site:
"Students wishing to transfer from another optometric school or college in the United States or Canada must meet the following criteria: make formal application to SCCO; be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the transferring institution; supply a letter of recommendation and permission from the chief executive officer of the transferring institution; supply a letter from each of two full-time members of the faculty of the transferring institution recommending the transfer; provide a letter explaining in detail why the transfer is being requested; meet all current admissions requirements and standards of SCCO; supply official transcripts of all collegiate work completed, including that taken at the transferring institution; and submit scores for the Optometry Admission Test (OAT). Decisions on transfer applications are made by the Admissions Policy Committee in cooperation with the Office of Student Affairs. Factors considered include: available space, admissions standards, reason for the transfer request, appropriateness of courses completed to the academic level to which transfer is requested, and personal attributes of the applicant."

Info from SUNY's site:
"Instruction for those seeking Advanced Standing:
Applicants seeking to be exempt from one or more years of the four year O.D. curriculum, as a result of past health profession education, must meet all the same entrance requirements as other applicants, plus:
a. If seeking to transfer from another COE accredited USA or Canadian school of optometry: submit from that school a transcript, at least two letters of recommendation from faculty, a complete detailed syllabus of all courses taken at the profession school, and a letter from the Dean or designee stating the student's academic standing and whether the student has been or is presently being considered for dismissal for cause and your reason for seeking a transfer.
b. If the applicant possesses a health profession degree from a foreign educational institution: Submit our regular application, transcripts and at least two letters of recommendation from that institution, a complete detailed syllabus of all courses taken at the profession school, and the results of Part I of the National Board of Examiners in Optometry exam. To receive information about that exam contact: National Board of Examiners in Optometry at www.optometry.org."

One of my classmates transferred to PUCO after completing (successfully) her first year at NECO because she was going completely broke trying to live in the area. Only some of her credits have transferred over, so she still had to start over as a first year student when she transferred, but she's taking about 2 fewer classes each semester than the rest of us for the first two years. She will have spent a total of 5 years in optometry school, but her load has been a bit lighter than the rest of ours. The schools do highly discourage it, and do not seem to honor transfers based on academic insufficiencies. Transferring was what my classmate had to do for personal reasons, and unless you have an extra year of your life you'd like to spend in the torture of a rigorous optometry program, she highly recommends that you NEVER plan on or attempt to transfer at this level.