Transferring from Community College to University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdrod94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently in my 4th semester at a community college. However during my time here, I feel that I'm a bit behind in my courses. So far I've only taken a full year of General Biology along with General Chemistry (University Orientated) and my gen ed courses. I've always struggled with math so during my first here at CC, I had to take preparatory courses in order to take College Algebra and Trig. I've yet to take any Calculus or Psychics courses along with Organic chemistry, all of which I know are necessary courses in order to get into Optometry School.
I decided to major in Biology, but I've been planning to transfer into a University (University of Illinois at Chicago) during Fall 2015. The deadline for applications to UIC is at March 31st, I've completed part of my application but I have not sent it in yet. I have a 3.0 GPA from my time at CC, and I was wondering if should actually apply to the University as a Biology major, but I'm a bit skeptical on being accepted with that Major. Should I major in something else instead?
I know most Pre- Optometry students major in Biology, so that's why I chose to do it.
Any advice would be helpful thank you. At this point my main concern is being accepted into UIC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there!

Like you, I also attended CC for my first two years, and like you, I also had to take all of these prerequisites just to get to calculus. So, by the time I transferred to a larger university I was just starting Ochem and still had a couple of other sophomore level classes to complete my first semester of my junior year. My advice, take as many classes as you can over the summer. That was a way I ensured I'd graduate on time. I would definitely transfer over, but if you want to take another semester at CC just to finish your genbio and genchem, then go for it. However, I know when you get to the advanced classes you'll have to take, then you'll definitely need to transfer out of CC. Even if you transfer over, I'd still recommend taking classes over the summer- that's if you're wanting to graduate on time.

As far as you declaring a major, biology isn't necessary. Most students major in bio, chem, or biochem because it's easier to complete all of your prerequisites for optometry while completing the necessary hours needed for your BA or BS degree. If you decide to major in something like english, then you'll have to make sure you are taking all the advanced science classes that pre-opt. requires (meaning you'll have to take all of the intro and prerequisite classes first), and on top of that you'll have to take all of the classes your english degree requires. So, all-in-all it's completely up to you! If you decide to not major in bio then they aren't going to think less of you as long as you have all the prerequisites for opt. completed and have a good GPA, OAT score and a well-rounded application. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there!

Like you, I also attended CC for my first two years, and like you, I also had to take all of these prerequisites just to get to calculus. So, by the time I transferred to a larger university I was just starting Ochem and still had a couple of other sophomore level classes to complete my first semester of my junior year. My advice, take as many classes as you can over the summer. That was a way I ensured I'd graduate on time. I would definitely transfer over, but if you want to take another semester at CC just to finish your genbio and genchem, then go for it. However, I know when you get to the advanced classes you'll have to take, then you'll definitely need to transfer out of CC. Even if you transfer over, I'd still recommend taking classes over the summer- that's if you're wanting to graduate on time.

As far as you declaring a major, biology isn't necessary. Most students major in bio, chem, or biochem because it's easier to complete all of your prerequisites for optometry while completing the necessary hours needed for your BA or BS degree. If you decide to major in something like english, then you'll have to make sure you are taking all the advanced science classes that pre-opt. requires (meaning you'll have to take all of the intro and prerequisite classes first), and on top of that you'll have to take all of the classes your english degree requires. So, all-in-all it's completely up to you! If you decide to not major in bio then they aren't going to think less of you as long as you have all the prerequisites for opt. completed and have a good GPA, OAT score and a well-rounded application. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Hi thanks for responding! I also meant that I'll be finished with Gen Bio and Gen Chem after this semester, and yes hopefully I'll be able to talk Calc 1 and perhaps Microbiology over the summer if they offer it.

Hi thanks for responding! I also meant that I'll be finished with Gen Bio and Gen Chem after this semester, and yes hopefully I'll be able to take Calc 1 and perhaps Microbiology over the summer if they offer it.