Transferring in Target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy7424

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an offer for Target for an undesirable location. For those that work for this company, how easy/hard is it to transfer out somewhere else in the country after you have worked there? How long would you need to be there for before a transfer could be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't quote me because I'm not 100% but I was under the impression that Target gives preference to the floaters in the area over people who want to transfer into an area. They don't hire floaters, they hire new pharmacists who float with the intention to put them in a store one day. I only know this because they hired a buddy of mine and he's floating in a semi-saturated area. He'd quit the company if they allowed someone from a bad location to take a spot that could have been his.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't quote me because I'm not 100% but I was under the impression that Target gives preference to the floaters in the area over people who want to transfer into an area. They don't hire floaters, they hire new pharmacists who float with the intention to put them in a store one day. I only know this because they hired a buddy of mine and he's floating in a semi-saturated area. He'd quit the company if they allowed someone from a bad location to take a spot that could have been his.

Wouldn't that open up a floater position in the desirable area? I don't work for Target, but in my chain in this undesirable area we just had a pharmacist transfer away to a more desirable location by taking a job as a floater in that area.

It's usually 18 months in role before you can seek a new role. Exceptions can be made, but that's the standard.

This is the old model. Generally for store leadership it is at least 3-6 months in your current role but pharmacy is different. And so is management from region to region for that matter. If you're a good fit for the move then they will make it a priority.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the old model. Generally for store leadership it is at least 3-6 months in your current role but pharmacy is different. And so is management from region to region for that matter. If you're a good fit for the move then they will make it a priority.

I agree that they will move people if they need to, but they also hold to the "18 months" thing in some cases. I know several floaters who've been kept from permanent store positions because they weren't in role long enough. When I was hired (as PT staff), they were telling all interviewees that it would be 18 months before they could go for a FT position if one was available.

But, I also know someone who was reassigned as PIC of a problem store after only 1 month of floating and zero retail pharmacy experience before that. :rolleyes:

I agree that they will move people if they need to, but they also hold to the "18 months" thing in some cases. I know several floaters who've been kept from permanent store positions because they weren't in role long enough. When I was hired (as PT staff), they were telling all interviewees that it would be 18 months before they could go for a FT position if one was available.

But, I also know someone who was reassigned as PIC of a problem store after only 1 month of floating and zero retail pharmacy experience before that. :rolleyes:

I really think this is more relative to the person and their performance. I interviewed for Target and was offered a floater position - I asked about the possibility of a store and the timeframe and they said it's based on what is available, your performance, and interview. Luckily, I don't have to interview all over again for a PIC position when the time comes b/c I've already been approved.

If you are float you will be in line before new recruits in your home district at the discretion of your DM. Most positions opening up will be rx manager. Staff rph turns over less because it is less stressful. When it does, there is more internal competition. Being in an undesirable area can hinder your movement because you will be hard to replace.

There are a few permanent floaters in some markets. You generally have job security and should not get forced into transferring to a store. Your home store is just the one closest to you as a float.

Watch your float radius. If stores are few and far between, your quality of life takes a big hit. Metro areas with 10 stores in a 45 minute radius will be easy.

Any Target Pharmacist need your help here please!

I am planning to switch company to Target, before that I want to know few things. Are they changing their computer system from the old one to new one??

Also, how does hour of Techs/Rphs correspond to the number of scripts done every day? I know it is all about the numbers, but I need idea if I am expecting to work by myself or with tech(s)??

Any Target Pharmacist need your help here please!

I am planning to switch company to Target, before that I want to know few things. Are they changing their computer system from the old one to new one??

Also, how does hour of Techs/Rphs correspond to the number of scripts done every day? I know it is all about the numbers, but I need idea if I am expecting to work by myself or with tech(s)??

You can expect to work by yourself a lot, unless you are in a very busy store. And they change the number of tech hours weekly based on how many scripts you did the week prior. The system sucks, to be honest.

I received an offer for Target for an undesirable location. For those that work for this company, how easy/hard is it to transfer out somewhere else in the country after you have worked there? How long would you need to be there for before a transfer could be possible?

Any information regarding the outcome of this situation? I'm in the same situation now. I don't know if I should accept the position or just apply to another position in another state all together. Thanks!