Transfusion Medicine and IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in here have any experience with IM and transfusion medicine? I'm a pathology resident who went into pathology for transfusion, but I've found that I want more patient care. I still like transfusion, particularly apheresis type procedures, I'd just like to do some primary care as well.

Are people who do TM from IM able to do some of both or do they end up going full time in transfusion?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone in here have any experience with IM and transfusion medicine? I'm a pathology resident who went into pathology for transfusion, but I've found that I want more patient care. I still like transfusion, particularly apheresis type procedures, I'd just like to do some primary care as well.

Are people who do TM from IM able to do some of both or do they end up going full time in transfusion?

Thanks!

The problem is you are in pathology so how is that even possible ?????

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't if many clinical physicians really spend a lot of time on transfusion medicine. Maybe the closest thing would be hematologists.

But like most of the times I've done apharesis or plex I'm not really actually doing any sort of management of the intricacy. I'm putting the HD line in and then calling up someone who I presume isn't medicine trained to do it for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't if many clinical physicians really spend a lot of time on transfusion medicine. Maybe the closest thing would be hematologists.

But like most of the times I've done apharesis or plex I'm not really actually doing any sort of management of the intricacy. I'm putting the HD line in and then calling up someone who I presume isn't medicine trained to do it for me.
Some apheresis units are run by IM. Others by pathology. I think it mostly depends on the institution. Idk enough yet to know why one would have control of it instead of the other.

I want to be able to oversee an apheresis unit and see patients. Maybe in a 60/40 ratio.

Some apheresis units are run by IM. Others by pathology. I think it mostly depends on the institution. Idk enough yet to know why one would have control of it instead of the other.

I want to be able to oversee an apheresis unit and see patients. Maybe in a 60/40 ratio.
I’ve never heard of general IM running an apheresis unit but maybe it exists. I know some nephrologists and some hematologists that have dipped their toes in it but not internists.