Transition from MD/DO applicant to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrostMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m 32 years old & I have switched gears from applying MD/DO to PA bc it’s significantly shorter & I now have a family don’t really want to go through a residency etc. So I have a few questions I hope you all can help me out with.

1) is it too take to apply for the 2023 cycle?
2) how do the Pa schools that do not accept gre differ from the ones that do?
3) since I’m older I haven’t taken basic science courses in a long time. I do have a masters in biology that I earned in 2018 would that suffice instead? Don’t really want to retake Bio 1 & 2 & Gen Chem 1&2 etc Took those 2008/2009?
4) I have a good amount of clinical exp. I worked as a MA. I haven’t worked since 2019 tho. My mother got sick with lymphoma so I came home to take care of her & once Covid hit I became her home attendant bc I didn’t want anyone else taking care of her bc she’s immunocompromised. Can I still use my MA exp? & home care exp?
5) I didn’t have a competitive ugrad gpa so I did my masters & graduated with a 3.69 that’s looked at right?

Thank you in advance. My head is spinning.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m 32 years old & I have switched gears from applying MD/DO to PA bc it’s significantly shorter & I now have a family don’t really want to go through a residency etc. So I have a few questions I hope you all can help me out with.

1) is it too take to apply for the 2023 cycle?
2) how do the Pa schools that do not accept gre differ from the ones that do?
3) since I’m older I haven’t taken basic science courses in a long time. I do have a masters in biology that I earned in 2018 would that suffice instead? Don’t really want to retake Bio 1 & 2 & Gen Chem 1&2 etc Took those 2008/2009?
4) I have a good amount of clinical exp. I worked as a MA. I haven’t worked since 2019 tho. My mother got sick with lymphoma so I came home to take care of her & once Covid hit I became her home attendant bc I didn’t want anyone else taking care of her bc she’s immunocompromised. Can I still use my MA exp? & home care exp?
5) I didn’t have a competitive ugrad gpa so I did my masters & graduated with a 3.69 that’s looked at right?

Thank you in advance. My head is spinning.
1. CASPA opens end of April or beginning of May
2. Schools that do not require GRE usually get more applicants which can make it more competitive, but besides that there is no difference.
3. This will be school dependent, but some programs have expiring pre-requisites. I would contact schools you want to apply to and ask.
4. You can definitely still use your MA experience, however programs will not count taking care of a family member as healthcare experience.
5. schools will still be looking primarily at your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA. A good masters GPA will be seen positively though.

1. CASPA opens end of April or beginning of May
2. Schools that do not require GRE usually get more applicants which can make it more competitive, but besides that there is no difference.
3. This will be school dependent, but some programs have expiring pre-requisites. I would contact schools you want to apply to and ask.
4. You can definitely still use your MA experience, however programs will not count taking care of a family member as healthcare experience.
5. schools will still be looking primarily at your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA. A good masters GPA will be seen positively though.
Tyvm!