transition metal color

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nartnad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Destroyer Question)

"An ionic solid gave a blue color. Which solid is most likely?"

I narrowed it down to two choices, which both have transition metals:

- AgCl or CuSO4

Why is the answer CuSO4?

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno how or why i know this but i think somewhere long time ago i learnt Cu gives blue color.

So when i see blue without even looking at choices i know it has to be something with copper.

so im under the impression that CuSO4 is soluble. Im pretty confused now. If AgCl is INSOLUBLE and CuSO4 is SOLUBLE, how is CuSO4 giving off a color as a solid, and why is AgCl not giving off a color?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its because AgCl precipitates

AgCl is white...cuprric sulfate aqueous solution is light blue.

cuprric sulfate is the correct solution because it has a partially filled d subshell.

Silver is 5s1 4d10

Thus, the silver ion is 4d10 giving it a pseudo noble gas configuration. Since the d subshell is completely filled it is colorless.

Copper is 4s1 3d10, thus, Cu++ is 3d9 giving it a partially filled d subshell.

The key is to understand WHY transition metals give color; this is due to partially filled d subshells. Partially filled d subshells have energetically non-equivalent d ORBITALS.

Visible light can excite a d electron to a slightly higher energy d orbital; when it returns to the "ground state" visible light is given off.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic jist of it.

For such problems, the key is to examine the d subshell; ask yourself, is the d subshell partially filled or does the ion have a pseudo noble gas configuration.

Another example involves cuprrous salts. PURE cuprrous salts should be colorless (white). In actuality, cuprrous salts appear greenish due cuprric impurities....

so im under the impression that CuSO4 is soluble. Im pretty confused now. If AgCl is INSOLUBLE and CuSO4 is SOLUBLE, how is CuSO4 giving off a color as a solid, and why is AgCl not giving off a color?

Unfortunately, that is what happens when you just memorize the rule....ie "transition metals give color."

The better approach to such problems is to examine the d-subshell.

(Destroyer Question)

"An ionic solid gave a blue color. Which solid is most likely?"

I narrowed it down to two choices, which both have transition metals:

- AgCl or CuSO4

Why is the answer CuSO4?

its defientaly CuSO4, because when Cu is oxidized it to Cu2+ ion, which means that the electrons now present can transition between different energy states which leads the ion to absorb light energy giving it that blue color

AgCl is white...cuprric sulfate aqueous solution is light blue.

cuprric sulfate is the correct solution because it has a partially filled d subshell.

Silver is 5s1 4d10

Thus, the silver ion is 4d10 giving it a pseudo noble gas configuration. Since the d subshell is completely filled it is colorless.

Copper is 4s1 3d10, thus, Cu++ is 3d9 giving it a partially filled d subshell.

The key is to understand WHY transition metals give color; this is due to partially filled d subshells. Partially filled d subshells have energetically non-equivalent d ORBITALS.

Visible light can excite a d electron to a slightly higher energy d orbital; when it returns to the "ground state" visible light is given off.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic jist of it.

For such problems, the key is to examine the d subshell; ask yourself, is the d subshell partially filled or does the ion have a pseudo noble gas configuration.

Another example involves cuprrous salts. PURE cuprrous salts should be colorless (white). In actuality, cuprrous salts appear greenish due cuprric impurities....

great explanation, thanks.