Transition to nuclear pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmaland

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here. I would like to ask for opinions on my transition to a nuclear pharmacy field. I received an offer from a nuclear pharmacy company recently. I haven't had a chance to counter offer yet, will do soon, just want to ask for opinions first. I know y'all don't have a love for retail but my case is not too bad. I am fortunate to work in a very slow store. Rx manager is lazy at the same time very easygoing so I don't mind doing his work sometimes; awesome schedule (4.5 days off every 2 weeks. 36 hours/week). Dpm is supportive. I just feel like the situation probably won't last forever and I feel very unproductive not learning anything.
This new job seems great. I love the lab work environment (I was very involved in wet lab research in college and pharmacy school). There are a few cons: the hour obviously, the pay cut (8$ less per hour), no vacation offered, health benefit is less, moving to a less desirable area.
I would like to ask if anyone knows what the typical salary for nuclear pharmacists is, particularly in California (not the number on google since my offer is way less than that). What is structure for raise, bonus?
Also let me know if I should take the position or not
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few cons: the hour obviously, the pay cut (8$ less per hour), no vacation offered, health benefit is less, moving to a less desirable area.

Thanks

Don't take it.

What is pushing you toward nuclear pharmacy? If you are considered the offer despite those drawbacks, there must be something going on with the current job.

If I were working retail, I would be looking for my way out. There are just too many red flags right now (reduced starting pay, <40hr/wk standard, attitude that you a replaceable) and I would rather take my departure into my own hands.

That being said, I'm not sure how stable the job market is for nuclear pharmacy. It was pretty rocky when I graduated, and many labs closed. I wasn't able to find a job in the field, and I was applying nationwide. All I have to show for it is a sheet of paper saying I've completed the didactic portion of nuclear pharmacist training (I think I lack something silly like 10 hours of hands on training to achieve authorized user status. Should have made my summer internship a few days longer) and a video of me drawing up syringes using robotic arms (that was cool). Anyway, maybe the market has stabilized since then?

Personally, I would take the nuclear job just because I enjoy that work more. However, that is assuming you will not endure economic hardship with the reduced pay, and will not suffer from moving to this less desirable area.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pay cut, no vacation, less health benefits... What's not to like?

Reactions: 1 user
What is pushing you toward nuclear pharmacy? If you are considered the offer despite those drawbacks, there must be something going on with the current job.

Nothing going on at my job really. Things just go tedious. I have tried to get a nuclear pharmacy position since I graduated a few times (work environment, chemistry, physics background is what I like). Plus this company's vision and how the company grows is really what interests me. May be there will be more networking, career opportunities long run...

I am surprised the offer is too low; and I might have some hard time negotiating since there are other candidates applied with training done.

There are a few cons: the hour obviously, the pay cut (8$ less per hour), no vacation offered, health benefit is less, moving to a less desirable area.

If I remember correctly, the old nuclear pharmacy threads generally had salaries that were commensurate with retail. They're probably lowballing the salary for that position.

Additionally, no vacation, at all? If you REALLY want to enter nuclear pharmacy, you can take the offer, but I'd recommend you look at this position as a springboard for other offers after a year. Those are some really big drawbacks. But nuclear pharmacy positions are few and far between, so be prepared to be looking for awhile.

It seems like the majority of the frogs in the retail pot don't feel the water getting hotter.

Retail is coming to an end.

OP is one of the smart ones.

Hi guys, first post here. I would like to ask for opinions on my transition to a nuclear pharmacy field. I received an offer from a nuclear pharmacy company recently. I haven't had a chance to counter offer yet, will do soon, just want to ask for opinions first. I know y'all don't have a love for retail but my case is not too bad. I am fortunate to work in a very slow store. Rx manager is lazy at the same time very easygoing so I don't mind doing his work sometimes; awesome schedule (4.5 days off every 2 weeks. 36 hours/week). Dpm is supportive. I just feel like the situation probably won't last forever and I feel very unproductive not learning anything.
This new job seems great. I love the lab work environment (I was very involved in wet lab research in college and pharmacy school). There are a few cons: the hour obviously, the pay cut (8$ less per hour), no vacation offered, health benefit is less, moving to a less desirable area.
I would like to ask if anyone knows what the typical salary for nuclear pharmacists is, particularly in California (not the number on google since my offer is way less than that). What is structure for raise, bonus?
Also let me know if I should take the position or not
Thanks
You think the hours are a con?!??

You'd be smart to get out before the only retail RPh jobs are part time, $40/hr gigs

I am thinking long term goal I might have better chance rather than staying retail forever.
How long do you have to choose? Personally I would take the job - as mentioned retail isn’t in a good place and it will get worse, plus you like the content.

If it were me there’s a few considerations I’d confirm. I’m not in the field but did some work around radio-pharmaceuticals recently:

1. Higher market demand long term? I.e more demand for your skills

From what I’ve seen there’s a renewed interest in radiotherapeutics as a treatment modality for oncology. This is no longer the time of the 2000s and early part of this decade with Bexxar and Zevelin. Just check some market reports and pipelines. For example, Novartis has fully invested in radiotherapeutics in the last few years with Lutathera. What that might mean is more Ga, F preparation for PET scans and perhaps flowing through to higher compounding rates for radiotherapeutics as well.

Demand for SPECT/Tc is fairly stable.

2. Credential requirements, so higher job security?

3. Better trajectory for a nuclear pharmacist salary-wise? Could probably check avg salaries for this one and contact some nuclear pharmacists on LinkedIn

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the old nuclear pharmacy threads generally had salaries that were commensurate with retail. They're probably lowballing the salary for that position.

Additionally, no vacation, at all? If you REALLY want to enter nuclear pharmacy, you can take the offer, but I'd recommend you look at this position as a springboard for other offers after a year. Those are some really big drawbacks. But nuclear pharmacy positions are few and far between, so be prepared to be looking for awhile.

Not necessarily on the pay unless you are BCNP. Cardinal used to offer lower salaries to non-RSO pharmacists until they were qualified.

OP, I would be somewhat suspicious as the circumstances of taking you when you beat other trained applicants seems a bit off (and your impression is not mistaken). I also do not understand your reasoning as you self-contradict yourself on your motives. Also $8 less than retail is actually not low, non-trained entrants used to get paid 20% less.

OP, I would be somewhat suspicious as the circumstances of taking you when you beat other trained applicants seems a bit off (and your impression is not mistaken). I also do not understand your reasoning as you self-contradict yourself on your motives. Also $8 less than retail is actually not low, non-trained entrants used to get paid 20% less.

yes I am grateful that I was offered a position. It's possible other applicants didn't take the job because of the pay???
My motives: enough retail, avoid drama (hospitals), do what I like (working in lab environment)

How long do you have to choose? Personally I would take the job - as mentioned retail isn’t in a good place and it will get worse, plus you like the content.

If it were me there’s a few considerations I’d confirm. I’m not in the field but did some work around radio-pharmaceuticals recently:

1. Higher market demand long term? I.e more demand for your skills

From what I’ve seen there’s a renewed interest in radiotherapeutics as a treatment modality for oncology. This is no longer the time of the 2000s and early part of this decade with Bexxar and Zevelin. Just check some market reports and pipelines. For example, Novartis has fully invested in radiotherapeutics in the last few years with Lutathera. What that might mean is more Ga, F preparation for PET scans and perhaps flowing through to higher compounding rates for radiotherapeutics as well.

Demand for SPECT/Tc is fairly stable.

2. Credential requirements, so higher job security?

3. Better trajectory for a nuclear pharmacist salary-wise? Could probably check avg salaries for this one and contact some nuclear pharmacists on LinkedIn

The manager needs someone to start asap. The want me to sign all the paperwork by this monday. I don't have any experience in nuclear pharmacy (except taking the elective class) but from what I was told the company focuses more on theranostics and therapeutics besides diagnostic agents.

yes I am grateful that I was offered a position. It's possible other applicants didn't take the job because of the pay???
My motives: enough retail, avoid drama (hospitals), do what I like (working in lab environment)

This is still rather suspicious based on what you wrote, but the advice is that while retail has a bleak future, working for a fly-by-night/abusive company is even bleaker. Nuclear is nothing but a deliberative body, and I do not know you or their situation, but something seems quite off about this. There is something about this situation that does not ring true and given the circumstances, if I were in your shoes, I would contemplate what I do not know about this company and why would they offer me a job even given the pay differential ($16k is nothing).

Just something else given your geography, if you do run into a Miriam Bloch as a Lab Medicine/Pathologist at your new company, don't walk, run away from it...

The manager needs someone to start asap. The want me to sign all the paperwork by this monday. I don't have any experience in nuclear pharmacy (except taking the elective class) but from what I was told the company focuses more on theranostics and therapeutics besides diagnostic agents.
That sounds great - if that's their product mix they're more likely to be growing. I'd recommend, then, that you immediately (ASAP) reach out to people who had formerly been at the company on LinkedIn and quickly set up a 5-10 min chat if feasible, to sniff out any red flags that could be deal breakers for you. Might be too short notice but worth a try.
This is still rather suspicious based on what you wrote, but the advice is that while retail has a bleak future, working for a fly-by-night/abusive company is even bleaker. Nuclear is nothing but a deliberative body, and I do not know you or their situation, but something seems quite off about this. There is something about this situation that does not ring true and given the circumstances, if I were in your shoes, I would contemplate what I do not know about this company and why would they offer me a job even given the pay differential ($16k is nothing).

Just something else given your geography, if you do run into a Miriam Bloch as a Lab Medicine/Pathologist at your new company, don't walk, run away from it...
Even so - would it not be reasonable to spend 6 mos-1yr there and then transfer to a better company once he has the nuclear experience?

That sounds great - if that's their product mix they're more likely to be growing. I'd recommend, then, that you immediately (ASAP) reach out to people who had formerly been at the company on LinkedIn and quickly set up a 5-10 min chat if feasible, to sniff out any red flags that could be deal breakers for you. Might be too short notice but worth a try.
Even so - would it not be reasonable to spend 6 mos-1yr there and then transfer to a better company once he has the nuclear experience?

The OP dropped enough hints that I have a couple of pretty good guesses at the company. If it is the company I am thinking of, no, because it is not even primarily a nuclear pharmacy company and they have a notorious reputation (kind of like the cryonics firm GRC). They have real technology unlike Theranos, but whether it lives up to its claims is something else.

Reactions: 1 user