Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know prelim medicine is a pretty easy spot to match, but how competitive is transitional?

I ask because my friend who had >250 on both steps and killer grades matched in his #4 rank while he matched #1 into rad last year. Either transitional are less score dependent or they are ridiculously competitive?

I am going into anesthesia and it sucks because half the programs are advanced and half aren't so I have to do all these extra interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I know prelim medicine is a pretty easy spot to match, but how competitive is transitional?

I ask because my friend who had >250 on both steps and killer grades matched in his #4 rank while he matched #1 into rad last year. Either transitional are less score dependent or they are ridiculously competitive?

I am going into anesthesia and it sucks because half the programs are advanced and half aren't so I have to do all these extra interviews.

Transitional years are ridiculously competitive because the lifestyle is typically better than a regular prelim year and so everyone in every competitive ("advanced") specialty wants one. So you aren't just competing against your specialty, you are competing against everyone in rads, derm, optho, etc.