transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimmer122

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for advice regarding transitional years. A few questions:

1. Do I need a separate personal statement for transitional year?

2. Do all radiology residency programs except transitional years from all institutions? Or are certain residencies affiliated with certain transitional years? For instance, can I end up with a residency in NYC and a transitional year in Boston (just making up a hypothetical here)?

3. How many transitional year programs do people usually apply to? I would think I need to apply to as many as possible to make sure that I actually have some place to train my first year??

4. When I am creating my rank list, is there a separate rank list for the transitional year and for residency programs?

Thanks again for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am looking for advice regarding transitional years. A few questions:

1. Do I need a separate personal statement for transitional year?

2. Do all radiology residency programs except transitional years from all institutions? Or are certain residencies affiliated with certain transitional years? For instance, can I end up with a residency in NYC and a transitional year in Boston (just making up a hypothetical here)?

3. How many transitional year programs do people usually apply to? I would think I need to apply to as many as possible to make sure that I actually have some place to train my first year??

4. When I am creating my rank list, is there a separate rank list for the transitional year and for residency programs?

Thanks again for all your help!

1. You don't need to write a separate statement. Maybe add a paragraph at the bottom of your radiology PS about transitional programs.

2. Radiology residencies accept transitionals from all accredited programs (anything on ERAS will be fine). So you could potentially do a transitional year in Boston and your radiology residency in NYC.

3. I applied to 10, because there is a set cost for the first 10. I also applied to 10 preliminary programs. There isn't a set recommendation for how many programs one should apply to.

4. When you rank, you will rank both together so that you can somewhat tailor a transitional program with a radiology program (for example I can rank boston transitional programs with boston rads programs, and nyc transitionals with nyc rads). I am not exactly sure on this, some input from those who have done this would be helpful.

4. When you rank, you will rank both together so that you can somewhat tailor a transitional program with a radiology program (for example I can rank boston transitional programs with boston rads programs, and nyc transitionals with nyc rads). I am not exactly sure on this, some input from those who have done this would be helpful.

Everything you posted is correct.

Regarding your rank lists:

You will have a main list with radiology programs. You then have supplemental lists for preliminary/transitional internships. You can have a different supplemental list for each position in your main list, if you want. It really allows you to try to reduce potential moving distances between internship and residency.

For instance, I had five radiology programs in my main list. I then had two supplemental lists. Supplemental list A was for programs 1 through 3, and list B was for 4 and 5.

The match program will go down your main list until it finds a match for you. It then goes through your supplemental list to find an internship slot (if the program is advanced). If you match to a categorical program, it stops looking.

If you don't match to a radiology program, it will look in supplemental list A to at least try to find you an internship match.

Everything you posted is correct.

Regarding your rank lists:

You will have a main list with radiology programs. You then have supplemental lists for preliminary/transitional internships. You can have a different supplemental list for each position in your main list, if you want. It really allows you to try to reduce potential moving distances between internship and residency.

For instance, I had five radiology programs in my main list. I then had two supplemental lists. Supplemental list A was for programs 1 through 3, and list B was for 4 and 5.

The match program will go down your main list until it finds a match for you. It then goes through your supplemental list to find an internship slot (if the program is advanced). If you match to a categorical program, it stops looking.

If you don't match to a radiology program, it will look in supplemental list A to at least try to find you an internship match.

I thought the supplemental list was not activated unless you matched on your primary list. So I understood you had to list a number of intern programs at the end of your primary list so that if you didn't match radiology it would continue on the primary list trying to match you to a spot.