transitioning from inpatient to outpatient private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zolof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some job opportunities coming up and I have been debating between joining a large private practice group around 20 or more psychiatrists, vs a smaller group practice around 4 or 5.

I've only worked contract for inpatient and consults since I graduated. Now I am considering changing my work routine to outpatient/private practice full time. Im pretty clueless regarding the business aspects of outpatient private practice. How long does it take to get to start working(getting paid) assuming the practice takes insurance and has already been established? Is it really difficult to transition into full time outpatient private practice after two years in inpatient and consult work (your mindset I mean) or is it better to try to mix it up, keep some inpatient work and only part time outpatient practice? Appreciate your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

How long does it take to get to start working(getting paid) assuming the practice takes insurance and has already been established? Is it really difficult to transition into full time outpatient private practice after two years in inpatient and consult work (your mindset I mean) or is it better to try to mix it up, keep some inpatient work and only part time outpatient practice?

If you take insurance and are near a major city, my guess is under 1 month. And definitely no more than 3 months. The more important thing when you join a practice is in the details: subtitles of noncompete clause, payor mix, partnership track, etc. Make sure to be careful about those. Patient stream as far as I can see should not be a problem pretty much anywhere around the country.

The second question is difficult to answer and depends on the person. From what I've seen some people can't wait to escape inpatient, others miss it. Why not pick up some moonlighting shifts while doing the outpatient to see what you like better?