Transitioning from veterinary to human medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanicMoon

Doctor Who?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've recently decided to make the switch from veterinary to human medicine & I need some major guidance.

I won't go into my full story for now because I don't want to overload this particular thread, but basically, I am a successful CVT (similar to an RN in human medicine) who is craving more than what a support staff role is offering me. I did consider going to DVM school, but I don't feel that is the right path for me for several reasons. I have a strong passion for medicine & I feel that medical school is the way to go.

What I'm wondering is...will my veterinary experience & knowledge be seen as an asset or looked down upon? I recently completed a CNA course just as a simple way to test waters of human medicine & I have to say, some of the other CNA students & the RNs I encountered weren't too nice about it.

Is there some sort of stigma associated with veterinary medicine in human medicine? To me, medicine is medicine. I'm not daft enough to think that all of my knowledge will transfer over & be applicable, but I am bringing a very good foundation to the table & I think that should be recognized & at least worth something. Am I wrong to think this?

I look forward to some insight & would appreciate some honest opinions!

As long as you have a legitimate reason for wanting to switch to human medicine and can support it, then I see no problem. I had previous veterinary experience and a simple explanation in my interviews was all that was necessary. You will also have a lot of good skills that will carry over to human medicine.

Hello,

I've recently decided to make the switch from veterinary to human medicine & I need some major guidance.

I won't go into my full story for now because I don't want to overload this particular thread, but basically, I am a successful CVT (similar to an RN in human medicine) who is craving more than what a support staff role is offering me. I did consider going to DVM school, but I don't feel that is the right path for me for several reasons. I have a strong passion for medicine & I feel that medical school is the way to go.

1) What I'm wondering is...will my veterinary experience & knowledge be seen as an asset or looked down upon? I recently completed a CNA course just as a simple way to test waters of human medicine & I have to say, some of the other CNA students & the RNs I encountered weren't too nice about it.

2) Is there some sort of stigma associated with veterinary medicine in human medicine? To me, medicine is medicine. I'm not daft enough to think that all of my knowledge will transfer over & be applicable, but I am bringing a very good foundation to the table & I think that should be recognized & at least worth something.

3) Am I wrong to think this?
1) Logically, it should be considered an asset, but adcomms, like other healthcare professionals, come from all walks of life and some won't understand what you have to bring to the table, due to ignorance. Your experience will not be looked down on, though. It's just that you'd be expected to have the usual and customary experiences with human medicine and shadowing human docs, the same as any other applicant.

2) Absolutely not. At least, no more than there would be for a pediatrician, who is similarly handicapped by having patients who can't give a history. (That was a joke.)

3) I think you're fine to have personal confidence that your current skill set will eventually transfer and give you an edge. Just don't expect others to acknowledge this. They just won't understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends used to be a CVT for 7 years before she decided to apply to med school. She did say that a few interviewers were curious as to why she chose not to go to vet school instead. As long as you have a good answer, you'll be OK. I don't think anyone will look down upon you for having veterinary experiences.

Because clearly someone who understands the comparative anatomy of horses, cows, birds, dogs, and cats couldn't figure out that some aspects of human anatomy would be similar while others would be different :rolleyes:. You do realize that humans are just another species of animal, right?

OP: Good luck with your transition! Did you fail a bunch of classes before dropping out of college or did you leave in good standing?

I am a successful CVT (similar to an RN in human medicine)
Hahaha not evenn. A vet technician is no where near a 2-4 year nursing program not even counting undergraduate work..