Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Transitioning from veterinary to human medicine?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by PanicMoon, 05.02.12.

1. PanicMoon

PanicMoon Doctor Who?

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    X
    Last edited: 06.11.12
  2. penguinism

penguinism

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As long as you have a legitimate reason for wanting to switch to human medicine and can support it, then I see no problem. I had previous veterinary experience and a simple explanation in my interviews was all that was necessary. You will also have a lot of good skills that will carry over to human medicine.
  3. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    1) Logically, it should be considered an asset, but adcomms, like other healthcare professionals, come from all walks of life and some won't understand what you have to bring to the table, due to ignorance. Your experience will not be looked down on, though. It's just that you'd be expected to have the usual and customary experiences with human medicine and shadowing human docs, the same as any other applicant.

2) Absolutely not. At least, no more than there would be for a pediatrician, who is similarly handicapped by having patients who can't give a history. (That was a joke.)

3) I think you're fine to have personal confidence that your current skill set will eventually transfer and give you an edge. Just don't expect others to acknowledge this. They just won't understand.
  4. Ilovewater

Ilovewater

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    One of my friends used to be a CVT for 7 years before she decided to apply to med school. She did say that a few interviewers were curious as to why she chose not to go to vet school instead. As long as you have a good answer, you'll be OK. I don't think anyone will look down upon you for having veterinary experiences.
  5. PanicMoon

PanicMoon Doctor Who?

Pre-Medical
    X
  6. SnowyRox

SnowyRox Pennwe c/o 2016

Because clearly someone who understands the comparative anatomy of horses, cows, birds, dogs, and cats couldn't figure out that some aspects of human anatomy would be similar while others would be different :rolleyes:. You do realize that humans are just another species of animal, right?

OP: Good luck with your transition! Did you fail a bunch of classes before dropping out of college or did you leave in good standing?
  7. biomaj

biomaj

Pre-Medical
    Hahaha not evenn. A vet technician is no where near a 2-4 year nursing program not even counting undergraduate work..
  8. PanicMoon

PanicMoon Doctor Who?

Pre-Medical
    X
  9. PanicMoon

PanicMoon Doctor Who?

Pre-Medical
    X
  10. PanicMoon

PanicMoon Doctor Who?