Trauma Plastic Surgery Residency ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johannes L.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a medical student from Eastern Europe and I have a passion for surgery . I'm really interested in trauma surgery and it looks like the plastics ( I'm not talking about breast, lips and aestetics in general) has a huge amount of incredible and life-saving operations and also it doesn't focus only on one part of the human body . So, I'd like to know what are the requierements for an EU citizen to fit in a trauma plastic program ?
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I am a medical student from Eastern Europe and I have a passion for surgery . I'm really interested in trauma surgery and it looks like the plastics ( I'm not talking about breast, lips and aestetics in general) has a huge amount of incredible and life-saving operations and also it doesn't focus only on one part of the human body . So, I'd like to know what are the requierements for an EU citizen to fit in a trauma plastic program ?
Thank you very much

There is no such fellowship that is a trauma plastic surgery. You do either plastic surgery or trauma/critical care. If you are interested in the plastic procedures, that would be included in a plastic surgery fellowship. There may be some additional non-ACGME fellowships that specialize in specific areas of plastics that could provide some of the training you are interested in, but you would have to complete general surgery and likely plastic surgery in your home country first if you were trying for that. If you are looking for all your training to be done in the US, then you should look for general surgery programs and then apply for plastics as a fellowship after your training. You will need all three steps of USMLE as well as the ECFMG certificate.

Another option after general surgery (and much less competitive than PRS) would be a Burn Fellowship. Trauma by definition, uses some plastics training but much more limited in scope.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see... So basically, matching into a plastic surgery program in US for a non-US citizen is pretty much impossible which means I'll have to choose another country to get a good training . From what I've read it looks like this specialty is one of the top 3 that even US graduates don't usually fit into ( maybe so wanted because of its lifestyle and high income? ) . Well, that 's a pity because the reconstructive part of plastics seems to be incredibly interesting and very rewarding ( I'm not talking aboout money here) . I just can't imagine how is it to "fix" a person who was crushed by a car or make a child walk or speak again.
Could anyone at least tell me what skills and knowledge should a plastic surgeon have (I mean in order to become a top surgeon ) ?
Thank you very much again

You do a one year Trauma/Critical Care fellowship and then a two year Plastics fellowship. I know of three surgeons who went that specific route and they are all invaluable to the tertiary hospitals where they work. Invaluable. Outside of the USA look at France, especially in Paris.

You do a one year Trauma/Critical Care fellowship and then a two year Plastics fellowship. I know of three surgeons who went that specific route and they are all invaluable to the tertiary hospitals where they work. Invaluable. Outside of the USA look at France, especially in Paris.

two year plastics programs no longer exist. It's three now. Quite the bummer.

Two-year plastics in France, for reconstruction. I wouldn't recommend an American plastics program for Trauma. One would need to take a Trauma/Critical Care fellowship in the US though, if the additional BC is a requirement.

I am not going to give his name, but you aught to see him operate:

1993 - 1995 Fellowship, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Hôpital Saint-Louis, Paris, France
1992 - 1993 Fellowship, Trauma/Surgical Critical Care, University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD
1987 - 1992 Residency, General Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Two-year plastics in France, for reconstruction. I wouldn't recommend an American plastics program for Trauma. One would need to take a Trauma/Critical Care fellowship in the US though, if the additional BC is a requirement.

I am not going to give his name, but you aught to see him operate:

1993 - 1995 Fellowship, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Hôpital Saint-Louis, Paris, France
1992 - 1993 Fellowship, Trauma/Surgical Critical Care, University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD
1987 - 1992 Residency, General Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

That's pretty baller. But can you be BC in PRS if you trained in another country?

The focus is on the skill set to "keep them alive and then repair". Trauma at this level is serious ****. War-time, East Baltimore, South Dallas, Bosnia. The added BC in SCC is really important for the necessary follow through.

I see... So basically, matching into a plastic surgery program in US for a non-US citizen is pretty much impossible which means I'll have to choose another country to get a good training . From what I've read it looks like this specialty is one of the top 3 that even US graduates don't usually fit into ( maybe so wanted because of its lifestyle and high income? ) . Well, that 's a pity because the reconstructive part of plastics seems to be incredibly interesting and very rewarding ( I'm not talking aboout money here) . I just can't imagine how is it to "fix" a person who was crushed by a car or make a child walk or speak again.
Could anyone at least tell me what skills and knowledge should a plastic surgeon have (I mean in order to become a top surgeon ) ?
Thank you very much again

the only way to get in as IMG is great step 1 score plus a couple of years of research and/or general surgery before applying to plastic surgery.

To the OP:

Don't get discouraged.

You could get into an integrated program; there are ~63 right now and 4-5 IMGs (Europeans mostly) matched into Hopkins, Harvard, Pitt, WashingtonU among others.

Last year, 4 spots went unfilled because there weren't enough applicants --research and connections are your best friends.

Last edited:
To the OP:

Don't get discouraged.

You could get into an integrated program; there are ~63 right now and 4-5 IMGs (Europeans mostly) matched into Hopkins, Harvard, Pitt, and WashingtonU among others.

Last year, 4 spot went unfilled because there weren't enough applicants --research and connections are your best friends.

Completely agree! Good luck