Treated Poorly in the ER department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCal24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I volunteer in the ER department at a local hospital where I am constantly attacked and ostracized for not doing my job by ER techs. The problem is the only thing they allow the ER volunteers to do is clean beds and rooms. (Which I am doing but there is a lot of down time where there is nothing for me to do) This is really not what I envisioned working in the ER department. Working there has been nothing but hell. I have worked there approximately 9 months I am really thinking about quitting and getting a scribe position at another hospital which I feel will give me more value when I apply to medical school in year. Is what I am doing even considered clinical experience I have heard people on SDN say if you can smell the patient its considered clinical experience. Any advice would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Quit volunteering and get a scribe job like you said.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a medical scribe in the ER right now and let me tell you there is very little if anything that'll replace that experience or even emulate it. That's NOTHING AGAINST EMT'S OR CNA'S. As a scribe you develop qualities of critical thinking because you are literally "inside the doc's head'. You get to see the good docs, the bad docs. You'll see the boring cases, and the interesting cases. Depending on where the hospital is, you'll gain an appreciation for urban medicine vs rural medicine. By working close with these docs not only do you get a ridiculous amount of insight on medicine, but you also build relationships with docs that'll never break and could even lead to a letter. + it gives you a lot to talk about at an interview.

One of my main questions is when I apply can I write what I'm doing now as clinical experience. Another question is I want to work part-time as a scribe but they require 2 year commitments and I can only do 1 year. Is it possible to quit after a year or is it a binding contract?

I would say more along the lines of volunteering. You can stretch it as a clinical experience but it's a very vague and weak link because you weren't doing anything "clinical" per say.

As for the commitment, I'm not sure about company to company. That's something you'd need to talk to the company directly about. Mine wasn't a binding contract but it was highly recommended doing 1 year full time/ 2 years part time.

One of my main questions is when I apply can I write what I'm doing now as clinical experience. Another question is I want to work part-time as a scribe but they require 2 year commitments and I can only do 1 year. Is it possible to quit after a year or is it a binding contract?
When you categorize volunteer experiences on AMCAS, you designate them as "Volunteer - Medical/Clinical" or "Volunteer - Non-Medical/Clinical." You don't have to choose between clinical and volunteering. This would qualify for clinical volunteering for sure. However you might run into some awkwardness in the blurb part, because it doesn't sound great to say "I cleaned beds. The end." Find another way to explain it?

Reactions: 1 user
When you categorize volunteer experiences on AMCAS, you designate them as "Volunteer - Medical/Clinical" or "Volunteer - Non-Medical/Clinical." You don't have to choose between clinical and volunteering. This would qualify for clinical volunteering for sure. However you might run into some awkwardness in the blurb part, because it doesn't sound great to say "I cleaned beds. The end." Find another way to explain it?

Its hard to really spin it any other way other then cleaning beds and stocking materials.

What you did in the ER is definitely clinical. You got to see patients, interact with other ER staff... that counts. You haven't been to medical school yet, there are limitations to what you can do at this stage.

The ER can be a brutal place. You have to get things done in a timely manner. Patients and staff can have short tempers, especially when things get busy. Maybe try asking a tech (when they are not busy) what else you could do to help? I'm sure there are other things you could do on a regular basis to keep busy like taking out garbage, cleaning the lobby, etc.

If you hate it, don't do it. Honestly, why put yourself through something you don't enjoy? The ER is not the place for everyone.
Also, get used to being the underling. You will be in that position until you are an attending.

Yes, it is clinical experience. There are varying degrees of clinical experience and this is the lowest on the totem pole.

Just to throw this in, have you considered possibilities outside of medicine? Or are you in this because this is what you've been told to do? If you really don't like this field, then maybe it isn't for you. I'm not discouraging you from doing it, just consider your motives.

Its hard to really spin it any other way other then cleaning beds and stocking materials.

Really? C'mon. Let me give you an example: If that bed doesn't get cleaned, the next patient is not available to be seen.

Op, you could ask the volunteer coordinator to rotate you in another department in the hospital.

Hey everyone,

I volunteer in the ER department at a local hospital where I am constantly attacked and ostracized for not doing my job by ER techs.

Or learn to stop making yourself an easy target by being a pushover? Give crap back and they'll leave you alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ER can be a brutal place. You have to get things done in a timely manner. Patients and staff can have short tempers, especially when things get busy. Maybe try asking a tech (when they are not busy) what else you could do to help? I'm sure there are other things you could do on a regular basis to keep busy like taking out garbage, cleaning the lobby, etc.

If you hate it, don't do it. Honestly, why put yourself through something you don't enjoy? The ER is not the place for everyone.
Also, get used to being the underling. You will be in that position until you are an attending.

Yes, it is clinical experience. There are varying degrees of clinical experience and this is the lowest on the totem pole.

Just to throw this in, have you considered possibilities outside of medicine? Or are you in this because this is what you've been told to do? If you really don't like this field, then maybe it isn't for you. I'm not discouraging you from doing it, just consider your motives.

Really? C'mon. Let me give you an example: If that bed doesn't get cleaned, the next patient is not available to be seen.

This is all they allow us to do and I have asked if there is anything else I can do. They all tell me to either stock the rooms or clean beds. I think a scribe position is more what I'm looking for I actually enjoy the ER but I'm not able to really do anything.

They can't yell at you for not doing your "job", you're a volunteer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I recommend finding a different clinical experience. Talking to the volunteer coordinator for another opportunity would be ideal.

It's not because you were treated poorly, but rather that your job seems to be geared towards work that provides minimal patient contact.

I'm 100% sure that I want to be in medicine but I wouldn't tolerate being treated this way. There's a difference between being an underling and being treated with disrespect (the former is okay, the latter is not). Find an experience that you enjoy, you'll learn a lot more.

I work in the ED and see a variety of volunteers come through.

The ones that approach me to find ways to be productive are my favorite. When they complete some of my downtime tasks, I go out of my way to involve them in more interesting encounters.

I'm 100% sure that I want to be in medicine but I wouldn't tolerate being treated this way. There's a difference between being an underling and being treated with disrespect (the former is okay, the latter is not). Find an experience that you enjoy, you'll learn a lot more.

You will certainly be treated with disrespect a time or two (or more) throughout your training.

Also, I hate your new avatar. :p

Also, OP, "ER Department" is redundant.

Difficult to assess which is occurring in OP's scenario. The internet can be misleading. In either case, the bold is absolutely correct.

Uh, I work full-time in a hospital right now so I'm not oblivious to what goes on. Just because disrespect occurs doesn't mean it should be accepted. Sexual harassment occurs too, does that mean I should just get used to it? Absolutely not. You teach people how to treat you.

I'm a hard-working adult and I expect to be treated as such. I show the same respect to our custodial staff as I do to my PI, and I expect others to do the same. I don't give a **** about the totem pole. "Attacking" someone, if that's what's occurring, who is volunteering his time is completely unacceptable.

Also, I hate your new avatar. :p
Yup
image.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snape

Reactions: 2 users
I work as a medical scribe in the ER right now and let me tell you there is very little if anything that'll replace that experience or even emulate it. That's NOTHING AGAINST EMT'S OR CNA'S. As a scribe you develop qualities of critical thinking because you are literally "inside the doc's head'. You get to see the good docs, the bad docs. You'll see the boring cases, and the interesting cases. Depending on where the hospital is, you'll gain an appreciation for urban medicine vs rural medicine. By working close with these docs not only do you get a ridiculous amount of insight on medicine, but you also build relationships with docs that'll never break and could even lead to a letter. + it gives you a lot to talk about at an interview.

I've gotta be honest, I've been a paramedic for 5 years both EMS and ED-based. I felt pretty good about the fact that I was developing some valuable critical thinking skills when I was running codes on the side of the road rather than hustling behind a doc with my laptop. Not to mention learning to build trust with patients, providing hands on care. But different strokes, I guess. The point is that you should do what you can get your hands on that you enjoy, you learn from and gets you excited about a future in medicine, whether that be scribing or sponge baths.

OP, my advice is to defend yourself. Go above what is expected and ask for more responsibility. Chances are there are plenty of other things you could do around the department, whether that be re-stocking linens etc. Getting a scribe job wouldn't be a bad deal if your schedule allows it but don't do it by sacrificing your grades or sanity.

What would Taylor say if she saw that?!? Shame on you :nono:
Lol I think Taylor would agree that Donna/Sarah is way prettier than Snape.
I nominate emma stone for new avatar
Also way better than Snape.

Anyway, OP, I agree with Mr. Interesting. Perhaps another department would suit you better. A scribe position also sounds like a good idea.

I have a volunteer position where I basically do the same thing as you (with some blanket-delivering thrown in for extra pizzazz). I am not sugar-coating when I say that I have found it to be very eye-opening and informative. I have encountered all sorts of patients, and that has given me a better idea of what day-to-day life in the medical field is like. Seeing the doctors, nurse, CNAs, lab technicians, etc. work together has taught me a lot about how a hospital works. I think you can definitely talk about it in a meaningful way. Look at it like this: no hospital volunteers are doing incredibly difficult stuff that couldn't be done by your average 14 year-old. Because of the rules of who is allowed to do what, ALL hospital volunteers do extremely menial work. However, that doesn't mean it isn't helpful to others and meaningful to you.

Uh, I work full-time in a hospital right now so I'm not oblivious to what goes on. Just because disrespect occurs doesn't mean it should be accepted. Sexual harassment occurs too, does that mean I should just get used to it? Absolutely not. You teach people how to treat you.

I'm a hard-working adult and I expect to be treated as such. I show the same respect to our custodial staff as I do to my PI, and I expect others to do the same. I don't give a **** about the totem pole. "Attacking" someone, if that's what's occurring, who is volunteering his time is completely unacceptable.

I said nothing about accepting it... just that it'll happen. :p

bro that kind of volunteering is a waste
you're doing a crappy job that people should be paid for
the whole point of volunteering is to get patient interaction and find out if you want to be a doc
can't do that by cleaning rooms and not talking to people

They can't yell at you for not doing your "job", you're a volunteer.
Exactly! The point of a volunteer position is to help smooth along the hospital flow, NOT replace a job completely. If the work that you do as a volunteer (or lack thereof in this situation) comes as a detriment to others, they should consider filling the position with paid staff.

Quit the volunteering, you've already put in 9 months; the altruism box is checked. Go for the scribe position; you get paid to be around medicine. I scribe. It's dope.

It's not binding. They'll never give up their ability to fire you without justifying it, so you'll always be free to quit without justifying it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment
I'm not saying they will fire you for no reason, just that at-will employment is the default state, and the employer-scribe relationship is such that I cannot see any of these companies taking the extra effort and liabilities of changing that, so the whole '2yr requirement' thing is smoke and mirrors.
From being a scribe for over a year, I can tell you that almost NOBODY ever stayed more than a 6months, and many for way less time than that. Certainly only 2 people in my department fulfilled the 2yr thing. My manager never once mentioned the contract. I did once, and she looked at me like I had 3 heads for suggesting anyone would follow it.
I did fulfill my own contract (only 1yr because I was full time), but then I got out.

Also, yes, what you are doing now is clinical experience, but getting clinical hours is less about box checking and timecards and more about what you are able to write about your experience. If you can't say something meaningful about your clinical volunteering, you need to find different clinical exposure.