treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our microbio prof in school told us not to worry about treatment for microbio. Do we have to worry about it for Step I? i.e., do we have to know that you use penicillin or vanco plus an aminoglycoside for enterococcus faecalis?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by moo
Our microbio prof in school told us not to worry about treatment for microbio. Do we have to worry about it for Step I? i.e., do we have to know that you use penicillin or vanco plus an aminoglycoside for enterococcus faecalis?

You damn well better believe it :)

Antibiotics are pretty high-yield as far as pharmacology goes on the boards.

No I mean I know we have to know antibiotics, their mechanism of action, etc. but do we have to know for what organisms they are used specifically?

Originally posted by moo
No I mean I know we have to know antibiotics, their mechanism of action, etc. but do we have to know for what organisms they are used specifically?

absolutely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by moo

I wonder why in the world your prof would give you this advice. Is it possible that you misinterpreted him? Because if you didn't, that sounds pretty outlandish.

Every Step I review book I've seen that covers micro (including everyone's best friend, First Aid) discusses the spectrum of action of the various antibiotics. And even if it weren't required, you'd want to know it for 3rd year - and as a future physician.

Imagine that you are starting your medicine rotation during third year. Your attending asks you, "What antibiotic can we give this patient with a Pseudomonas infection?" If you replied, "Penicillin G", he or she might think that you are mentally challenged.

I'm just joking here, but I think all med students are expected to at least know the basics of what drugs cover which bugs.

Yes. you absolutely need to know how to treat different bugs.

OUr micro shelf was loaded with antiviral therapies, antifungal therapy, and of course antimicrobials.

later

Originally posted by jed2023
I wonder why in the world your prof would give you this advice. Is it possible that you misinterpreted him? Because if you didn't, that sounds pretty outlandish.

Every Step I review book I've seen that covers micro (including everyone's best friend, First Aid) discusses the spectrum of action of the various antibiotics. And even if it weren't required, you'd want to know it for 3rd year - and as a future physician.

Imagine that you are starting your medicine rotation during third year. Your attending asks you, "What antibiotic can we give this patient with a Pseudomonas infection?" If you replied, "Penicillin G", he or she might think that you are mentally challenged.

I'm just joking here, but I think all med students are expected to at least know the basics of what drugs cover which bugs.

the proff. probably expects anti-biotics to be covered during pharm.....thus his suggestion that they not be concerned about it during micro. But i doubt he believes he is going to send his students to the wards without any basic knowledge of microbial therapy.

this is the issue i have with subject based curriculums.......i dont see the rationale in teaching bacteriology without a comprehensive coverage of anti-biotics simultaneously (not the 2 hour crap u get during introduction to bacteriology).....

As for the OP ?.u can check katzung ch 51.??clinical use of antimicrobials?? has some really useful tables.

No, our curric is systems based AND our prof said we will learn this stuff next year so we don't need to learn it now. I had no idea this was the case but thanks for the heads up!