Tribal hire to IHS or PHS hire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the chance, and by what mechanism, does one get hired into IHS or PHS? Would working on the reservation as a direct hire with PHS and IHS coworkers and vosses help? What advantages is there to this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't completely follow your question... Are you currently working on a reservation as a tribal direct hire (e.g., working in a pharmacy that is self-governed by the tribe rather than the federal government/IHS, and you are an employee of the tribe), and you're trying to convert over to either the USPHS Commissioned Corps or the civil service in the federal government (IHS) while continuing to work at the same tribal location?

I am requiring as to the possibility of what you said, including if, but not limited to, the boss or the facility making any progress in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you work (or planning to work) for a self-governed tribal health facility, it is up to the boss/tribe leadership whether or not they will hire PHS officers. Are there already other PHS officers who work at the facility? If the tribe approves, the next step is usually reaching out to the IHS PHS liaison to inquire on whether or not PHS Commissioned Corps will accept applications for commissioning right now. I don't know much about working at a tribal site as a federal civil servant - you could reach out to HR at the tribal facility and to an IHS recruiter (Contact a Recruiter | Career Opportunities) to get more information.

Reactions: 1 users
I talked to an IHS recruiter. It appears ihs is only responsible for funding and im not sure if any work for tribally run facilities.
There are phs employees at the tribally run facility with one former tribal direct hire after a couple years turning into a phs member at the facility. I do not know the mechanics behind this transition. Is this a potential way to do phs?
How dies they mechanics of the phs process work? How could a phs boss at the tribal facility help with this transition? This may be a big factor in taking the job. Much obliged!

I talked to an IHS recruiter. It appears ihs is only responsible for funding and im not sure if any work for tribally run facilities.
There are phs employees at the tribally run facility with one former tribal direct hire after a couple years turning into a phs member at the facility. I do not know the mechanics behind this transition. Is this a potential way to do phs?

Generally, yes. It is done on a case-by-case basis and is not always guaranteed, but it could be an option.

How dies they mechanics of the phs process work? How could a phs boss at the tribal facility help with this transition? This may be a big factor in taking the job. Much obliged!

I am not qualified to speak about the specifics of the process. I would recommend reaching out to the PHS officer who converted from a tribal direct hire to the Commissioned Corps at the specific facility you're interested in, and ask them how they started the process. With most things PHS, the process typically starts by reaching out to the PHS liaison. Each IHS region has it's own PHS liaison. Again, I would reach out to the PHS officers at the specific facility and ask them for the contact information for the PHS liaison that covers that specific facility.