Tricare eligibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsmac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone enrolled in HPSP I have a question:

With all tuition and fees/ are paid for, does that include health care coverage? Are you covered by Tricare or do you pay for your own healthcare. I'm a first year medical school student who is interested in the Air Force scholarship, and I pay healthcare insurance as part of my fees. I have dependents (2) and I haven't seen anything listed here concerning our healthcare options while in school. Any info would be useful. I guess I'm the only one here with kids :)

Thanks,

mrsmac

Members don't see this ad.

I think your family is only covered by Tricare while you are on active duty. For example during the 45 day annual training periods. During the rest of medical school, I think you have to have your own insurance. I don't know if HPSP covers that however. Does anyone else know the answer?

If your school requires health insurance, then HPSP will reimburse you for it.

Both are correct. You and your family are covered by TRICARE during your 45 day ATs. HPSP will cover the mandatory fees associated with a Med school health plan at the single rate. Your family is not covered otherwise.

Outside the 45 days of AT you and your family are not TRICARE eligible.