Triple Board Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessie2613

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how competitive the triple board residency programs are? I'm wondering if this is something I am likely to get into? Or if I should look more closely at the regular psych programs. I'm looking more closely at the ones at UPitt and Tulane.
I believe I'm a fairly strong applicant.

Step 1-239, O's in Peds and Psych so far. Is there anything else in particular they look for?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, unless you have very, very specific career goals or plans to practice in a severely underserved area (i.e., where it's reasonable that you would actually be functioning in all of those roles), most people that I've spoken with recommend against triple boarding. By necessity the duration of your training is truncated, resulting in poorer quality training (irrespective of your opinion on that). The complexities of billing across multiple fields makes it difficult to do this in a private practice model, and because of differences in how services are reimbursed you're likely to move toward what pays more.

Not trying to dissuade you, just sharing what I've learned as I was initially interested in the triple board program. Again, apart from some very specific practice situations it seems to be a horribly impractical pathway that gives you lower quality training in three fields rather than excellent training in any of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at the resident profiles for the residency programs you're looking at. I believe there are plenty of DOs and IMGs that fill these spots, so it can't be too hard for a US MD.