Trouble making med school list! Help is much appreciated, I have decent stats and below average ECs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiderpunk!

Reaction score
Hello, I am finishing up primaries right now, and I would like some help on what schools I should apply to as I am worried about my extracurriculars. I am a Florida resident with a 4.0 GPA and a 517 MCAT. Normal undergrad, non-URM.

Extracurriculars:
Dean's list Fall 2020 - Current
Research assistant - 100 hours (ongoing)
Clinical volunteering club H4H 50 hours (leadership role in the club also 50 hours) (ongoing)
600 hours tutoring
100 hours peer leading Organic chem 2 and Gen chem 2
50 hours shadowing internist
350 hours scribing for family med doc (ongoing)
150 hours volunteering in emergency vaccine clinic w FEMA
350 hours stocking shelves at Walmart lol
*My app is all about wanting to do primary care, so take that into account as well!*

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Kaiser

Hello, I am finishing up primaries right now, and I would like some help on what schools I should apply to as I am worried about my extracurriculars. I am a Florida resident with a 4.0 GPA and a 517 MCAT. Normal undergrad, non-URM.

Extracurriculars:
Dean's list Fall 2020 - Current
Research assistant - 100 hours (ongoing)
Clinical volunteering club H4H 50 hours (leadership role in the club also 50 hours) (ongoing)
600 hours tutoring
100 hours peer leading Organic chem 2 and Gen chem 2
50 hours shadowing internist
350 hours scribing for family med doc (ongoing)
150 hours volunteering in emergency vaccine clinic w FEMA
350 hours stocking shelves at Walmart lol
*My app is all about wanting to do primary care, so take that into account as well!*
You may want to change your username if you wish to remain anonymous.

How is H4H clinical volunteering? You have 50 hours + 50 hours, or is all 50 hours altogether?

You have 700 hours of teaching/tutoring, 150 clinical volunteering (vaccine clinic), 400 hours of other clinical shadowing/scribing, 350 employment as a comparison, so you need more non-clinical community service to show service orientation outside of a healthcare environment to not get screened out. To really stay in play, you need to get at least 200 hours working in food distribution, job placement services, shelter work, housing rehabilitation, or transportation services (if you have an alternative, let us know).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to change your username if you wish to remain anonymous.

How is H4H clinical volunteering? You have 50 hours + 50 hours, or is all 50 hours altogether?

You have 700 hours of teaching/tutoring, 150 clinical volunteering (vaccine clinic), 400 hours of other clinical shadowing/scribing, 350 employment as a comparison, so you need more non-clinical community service to show service orientation outside of a healthcare environment to not get screened out. To really stay in play, you need to get at least 200 hours working in food distribution, job placement services, shelter work, housing rehabilitation, or transportation services (if you have an alternative, let us know).
50 hours of volunteering and 50 hours of leadership for H4H, we have blood pressure and mental health screenings for those experiencing homelessness
I have non-clinical volunteering from high school, could I use that?

50 hours of volunteering and 50 hours of leadership for H4H, we have blood pressure and mental health screenings for those experiencing homelessness
I have non-clinical volunteering from high school, could I use that?
High school is going to be undervalued compared to things you did since college started for you. Thanks for clarifying your H4H... that still goes under non-clinical volunteering, though I hadn't known H4H does health screens. (Need to update myself on this.)

Reactions: 2 users
High school is going to be undervalued compared to things you did since college started for you. Thanks for clarifying your H4H... that still goes under non-clinical volunteering, though I hadn't known H4H does health screens. (Need to update myself on this.)
Okay this is wonderful then! So that would count as non-clinical, do you have any advice on schools I should apply to based on my application?

Can you fill out a complete WAMC template? That would make things easier.
  1. cGPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT: 517 (130, 127, 130, 130)
  3. Residency: Florida
  4. Race: Asian
  5. Undergrad: University of South Florida, graduating in 2024
  6. Clinical experience:
    1. Medical Scribe - 350 hours for family medicine
  7. Research: Research Assistant in a wet lab, 100 hours as I only started Spring 2023, no publications
  8. Shadowing: Internal Medicine (50 hours)
  9. Volunteering:
    1. FEMA vaccine clinic (150 hours, in underserved community) - clinical
    2. H4H volunteer (did BP and mental health screens, 50 hours) - nonclinical
  10. Other experiences (my career prior to switching to medicine):
  11. 600 hours of tutoring math, biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry
  12. 100 hours of peer leading general chemistry and organic chemistry
  13. Dean's List from Fall 2020-present
  14. Walmart Stocker (350 hours)
  15. Hobby of volleyball
  16. H4H leadership (50 hours, natural disaster committee chair)
School List as of now:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Jefferson
Hofstra
Rochester
Tufts
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
Kaiser
NYU-LI
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Vermont
U Mass

Thanks.... so where is your passion to be a physician? What do you want to do 10 years into your career as a physician?
Primary care, I really was inspired by my experiences with doctors and I want to work in clinic

Primary care, I really was inspired by my experiences with doctors and I want to work in clinic
Great! Are you applying to HPSP or NHSC? Are you going to work in highly rural or highly urban underserved communities? Do your activities support this intention?

Great! Are you applying to HPSP or NHSC? Are you going to work in highly rural or highly urban underserved communities? Do your activities support this intention?
No to either scholarship, and I wouldn’t mind working in underserved communities I just haven’t thought about that

Reactions: 1 user