Medical Trouble Proceeding/Understanding Next steps - What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent graduate (May 2019) with a degree in Psychology, with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience.
Major GPA - 3.01
cGPA - 2.69

I made mistakes throughout college, did not plan properly, and though I took the majority of courses needed for a Molecular Biology degree, I was unable to declare it. So at the very least, I have those classes under my belt

I am solid in my intention to go into medicine. College was an immense struggle for me, and at the end of my fall semester senior year, I was diagnosed with ADHD-C. It was nothing more than a slap in the face for me, and a wake up call to take better care of myself. Throughout the entirety of college, I struggled to do well in my coursework, never scoring above a 3.0, but the semester following my diagnosis, treatment + counseling gave me an immense turnaround, where i was able to score a 3.44 for the first time in my college career. I was taking 18 credit hours and doing other extracurriculars as well. Unfortunately, it was too late to do anything at that point.

Since graduating, I spent the first few months at home, caring for my grandmother (Parkinson's Disease ~20 years). She had a full knee replacement done, and while in rehab, she broke her femur while being moved from a wheelchair to the bed. I started working full-time as a Medical Assistant in November for a private family medicine practice, and have been balancing studying for my MCAT since.

I am lost and confused as to what the next steps in my career should be. The majority of SMP's and PostBacc programs have GPA requirements that I do not meet. The MCAT (which I was supposed to take April 4) has been delayed due to COVID-19, and I am unsure when I would be able to take it. I understand the reality of my situation and the chances and probability associated with it, but I wish to proceed with going into medicine, using that reality as my grounding factor.
Read this:

Members don't see this ad.

Major GPA - 3.01
cGPA - 2.69

Still see Goro's post, but I just wanted to clarify that major GPA is not a factor. Cumulative GPA (cGPA as you mention) and Science GPA (sGPA) are the factors that are viewed, as well as trends. Keep that in mind when evaluating your current standing, possibilities of getting into post-baccs, SMPs, and med school itself.

Still see Goro's post, but I just wanted to clarify that major GPA is not a factor. Cumulative GPA (cGPA as you mention) and Science GPA (sGPA) are the factors that are viewed, as well as trends. Keep that in mind when evaluating your current standing, possibilities of getting into post-baccs, SMPs, and med school itself.
Agreed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.