Trouble with LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supbe6336

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been put in a odd situation where a preceptor of mine has written a "waived" LOR but he is simply too old to understand the technicalities of uploading the LOR. He insists on me creating an account on his behalf and uploading it, since he has no idea how to.

I've tried asking his staff, as I am no longer in the same city as he is in, but they to are elderly and do not understand how to scan and convert the letter to a PDF file. So all in all, what I'm trying to get at, is it ok to proceed what he is asking of me? Can I get in trouble for seeing the letter and helping create an account for upload? Is there any other way I can get this letter uploaded? Do I upload it as "unwaived"?

and I'm an IMG applicant and the LORP website states only US medical schools are allowed to upload letters on behalf of their students.

Thanks for any input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Waiving your right to see the letter does not mean you cannot be given a copy of the letter if the letter writer provides it.

As an IMG, aren't you having ECFMG process your application?

Thanks for your reply!

Yea, I looked into it but ECFMG states on their website the only way they upload letters are if they are "unwaived".

Does the whole "unwaived vs waived" really make a difference? Would it be ok if I click "unwaived while finalizing authors and upload a letter that states it's "waived"? or help the doctor make an account?

Sorry for the plethora of questions but application season is extremely stressful!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

Yea, I looked into it but ECFMG states on their website the only way they upload letters are if they are "unwaived".

Does the whole "unwaived vs waived" really make a difference? Would it be ok if I click "unwaived while finalizing authors and upload a letter that states it's "waived"? or help the doctor make an account?

Sorry for the plethora of questions but application season is extremely stressful!!

Re: ECFMG They were always the repository for all letters in the past. But admittedly it's been a long time since I've used them and things may have changed as users can now make their own account for ERAS.

Again YOU have waived the right to see your letter. If the writer gives you a copy, it does not become "unwaived".

It's not okay to check unwaived as this casts doubt on the veracity of the letter. Only check that if you are truly waving your right to see the letter. Letters from foreign physicians are generally not helpful anyway, and stating that you have seen the letter just hurts you even further.

Help the physician make an account, show them how to save and upload the letter; you don't have to actually see the letter to do that.

Last edited:
So waiving means that you waive the right you would otherwise have to see the letter. It does NOT mean the physician can not then show you the letter. I.e. you no longer have a right to see it, but he is more than welcome to voluntarily show you.

If he's OK with it, you are allowed to help him upload it. But you can't make him.

Thank you both for your replies!! I really appreciate the insight!! It helped clear up so much confusion for me.

I've contacted the doctor since and he still prefers I assist him upload the letter. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!