TRPH Biological Science Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobaBoba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my first AAMC FL yesterday and was very disappointed in my biological science score. I am not a biology major and used EK for content review which was a mistake since I don't have the biology knowledge of a bio major. I have heard great things of TPRH but was wondering if it had content. I didn't know if there was any differences between TPR Biology Review vs TPRH Biological Science Review. Do they both have the content, or is one simply for passages? Thanks! (I searched other threads but could not understand most answers)

Members don't see this ad.

TPR Biology review is the same as TPRH biology review. They're mixed up a lot because the book is part of Princeton's hyperlearning set (should be a red cover).

The book definitely has content. Personally, I love the book as I was someone who needed a little bit more rust off of my biology gears. There are passages and discretes at the end of every chapter which are great. Also, the chapters have questions within the text that quiz your understanding as your reading, which I find very helpful. Some have said that a few chapters are over detailed, but for me, I didn't mind the little extra since it's been a while since I took bio. I recommend getting the TPRH science workbook for more bio passages.

By EK you mean EK1001 questions or EK Bio Review?

The EK Bio Review covers everything you need to know for the MCAT and nothing else - any additional content you find in Berk Review, Princeton, etc is usually far more in depth than will actually benefit you

Do you think I can get through the biological sciences section in 1.5 months while still finishing my passages for all subjects in TBR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I can get through the biological sciences section in 1.5 months while still finishing my passages for all subjects in TBR?

Biological sciences of what book? If its EK, you can get done with content review in 1 week alone, if its TBR, thats a diff story, some of those chapters are dense. 1.5 months is pushing it, more like 2 months for TBR.

For TPRH, if I only do the biological science review. Not the whole science workbook, only the biological sciences part.

For TPRH, if I only do the biological science review. Not the whole science workbook, only the biological sciences part.

2 months. TPR biology is not skimpy, it has a bit more detail than EK, but a tad below TBR. You mentioned you wanted to do TBR passages, yes 1.5 months you can do it maybe, but will just be in a rush "to do" it and will not get the proper "learning" when reviewing. Remember, doing them is 1/3 the time spent, 2/3 of the time is needed to review the problems. Some of the TBR passages have like 15 passages, some have only 7 (but this is only for physics). I assume you also want to do AAMC exams? If so, then def. 2 months.

I actually have already done half of the TBR passages so I'm simply looking to do biological science content review from TPRH while I finish up passages with TBR. I actually have right at 2 months till my exam

I actually have already done half of the TBR passages so I'm simply looking to do biological science content review from TPRH while I finish up passages with TBR. I actually have right at 2 months till my exam

You should be fine then, but please be sure to do AAMC exams. Good luck.

I realized I need to have some caffeine while I take it. My first half was way better than second half. Really lost focus which hurt bio score.

Are you buying TPR Bio or just the TPRH workbook? TPR has great content but only couple passages per topic. The TPRH has around 80-90 Bio passages that can really help your test-taking skills and get you comfortable with the testing style. Having solid content knowledge is not enough to do well on this test--it's the heavy amount of passage practice that will ultimately benefit you.

On another note, if you buy TPR Bio it comes with online access to about 30 additional bio passages that you can take with CBT-format. I thought some of the passages/questions were harder than AAMCs but since I really need to improve my Bio skills I found it to be great additional practice.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1413051751.874305.jpg

I found TPRH to be good practice for the other subjects as well.. if you end up having the time I suggest powering through those as well. You should read the chapters in the content book and work on some of the passages from TPRH as you go along.

Definitely use the TPRH Biological Science Review. I used it...and was averaging between a 14 and 15 on PS and BS throughout all my practice exams.