Trying to Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shackman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this is wrong. I have a daughter in her fourth year in pharmacy school. She is a great person and a very hard worker. She works 40-50 hours a week now, and is in the top 1% of her class with over a 4.0 GPA. My question is this. My ex-wife and I have helped her financially as much as we could. She still has alot of student loans. I heard from my local Pharmacists that sometimes a Pharmacy will ask you to sign a contract with them in return for paying off your student loans. Any truth to that? She wants to work in the Kansas City, Mo, Kansas City, Ks area. I would like to help her as much as I can. I have been in the military for 23 years and feel I haven't been around for her as much as I shoulf of. I just wanted to know if someone knew how I could go about helping her with this. Thank you in advance.:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry if this is wrong. I have a daughter in her fourth year in pharmacy school. She is a great person and a very hard worker. She works 40-50 hours a week now, and is in the top 1% of her class with over a 4.0 GPA. My question is this. My ex-wife and I have helped her financially as much as we could. She still has alot of student loans. I heard from my local Pharmacists that sometimes a Pharmacy will ask you to sign a contract with them in return for paying off your student loans. Any truth to that? She wants to work in the Kansas City, Mo, Kansas City, Ks area. I would like to help her as much as I can. I have been in the military for 23 years and feel I haven't been around for her as much as I shoulf of. I just wanted to know if someone knew how I could go about helping her with this. Thank you in advance.:oops:

There is nothing wrong with your post, although I suspect you stumbled into the wrong subforum. It's great you are helping your daughter, she is very lucky. Sadly, tuition reimbursement is pretty rare now. I have not found any company in my area with that particular perk. I don't mean to be negative, but chances are pretty slim that she will find that. Good luck for her though!

As long as she finds a job though she will be fine. She will make good money and be able to pay back her loans. I think the military still has tuition reimbursement, but I assume she wants to work either in a hospital or retail pharmacy. I really doubt she will find that at a retail pharmacy place and it would just depend on the hospital, but it is doubtful.

Some of the retail giants like CVS used to offer contracts for one to three years. I am not aware if they do this any longer. Once your daughter is signed into a contract, she must work the time (it is a binding contract) or pay the penalties. The same goes should she take a sign on bonus. If conditions are good and she likes the job no problem, but if she is in a bad work environment, doesn't like the company, or it is a particular location, her life will be miserable. She will have to pay back in FULL; and more than likely will not be allowed to transfer to another location. Be very wary of these types of propositions. Also, pharmacy recruiters and district managers will tell you anything so it is always best to talk with seasoned professionals who either work for or have worked for the company.