Tufts (Partial Scholarship) vs Howard 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livetruth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got accepted into Tufts dental school and just received an interview from Howard dental. I got a partial scholarship worth 30% off tuition and fees each year. After numerous calculations, including my scholarship and cost of living (which is similar for D.C and Boston). I have come down to a figure of about $37,000 more to go to Tufts than it is to go to Howard. I fell in love with Tufts at my interview and have heard all wonderful things about it except the price, the contrary goes for Howard. Ive gotten mixed reviews with the majority being negative. Then this video of the conditions at howard threw me off

Is it worth it to go to Howard over Tufts to save that amount. Please I would love any suggestions I can get. I would also love to hear from current Howard students as to whether the contents of the video are true and their experience at Howard

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about Howard but you can tell that this filmmaker just did circles in the same room for 10+ minutes and smacked a sad song on top of it, right? I'm betting most older dental schools have a hidden graveyard of a room like this, somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know anything about Howard but you can tell that this filmmaker just did circles in the same room for 10+ minutes and smacked a sad song on top of it, right? I'm betting most older dental schools have a hidden graveyard of a room like this, somewhere.
:laugh:I agree the song in the video is ridiculous but for someone who's never been to the school, it's definitely leaves a horrible impression. That aside I need to make a decision whether or not to go to Tufts if I get accepted to Howard after my interview

Members don't see this ad :)
This would be a no brainer for me. I'd choose Tufts in a heartbeat. I didn't apply to either of these schools, but I've heard great things about Tufts and the school definitely has a great reputation. Howard has poor funding from NIH (if you're interested in research) and accepts embarrassingly low DAT scores and GPAs. Investing $37,000 more in your education will be well worth it in the long run. I know most people on these forums say "go to the cheapest school because you'll still be a dentist either way," but the reality is that the best dentists tend to go to the best schools. There is a difference in the quality of education received between different dental schools whether people choose to recognize it or not.

Reactions: 2 users
I was even debating whether to go to the interview just to experience the school for myself. My interview is next week not to mention an exam the day of the interview

Last edited:
My comment might be biased, but when I shared my news of my acceptance at Tufts, both of my dentist mentors said "clinically strong school".