Tufts vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gundam said:
At the interview, the sheet does show the 98%. In fact you can go to their website and find the same sheet. What I'm talking here is that the 98% consists 78% of GPR and AEGD. Nobody needs GPR expect for Columbia.

Please don't mislead people with wrong information (78% GPR/AEGD huh???).

Below is the actual information directly from their website for 2003 class (2004 not available yet):

Columbia 2003 (04 not available yet):
73 students total
3 Endodontics (4.1%)
3 Periodontics (4.1%)
3 Prosthodontics (4.1%)
4 Orthodontics (5.5%)
6 Pediatric (8.2%)
1 Ortho/Ped. Comb. Pgram (1.4%)
5 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (6.8%)
1 Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (1.4%)

36% total spec. match

57% GPR+AEGD

4% Unif. Svcs./Priv. Pract/No Info

3% Not in any postdoc program

So that's 57% GPR+AEGD instead of 78% you claim; and I don't think GPR is such a huge negative thing (especially if you will practice in NY after 2007).

Also 36% spec. match rate is still pretty impressive I think. That's more than 1 out of every 3 students in class spec.

Getting into top 35-40% of your class for spec. sounds easier than some school where you have to stay within top 10%.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry.I am a big idiot. You guys are right; Columbia is the best dental school in the US.
I'm gonna decline the offer at Tufts and go with Columbia. Realysa I'm going to come and meet you. I would like to bring a gift to you. Please reveal your identity for sake of the present. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm pretty surprised this thread is still going, definitely took a turn for the worst. I will never understand the students who bash other students and schools to get over their own inferiority complex. Good thing there are more students like Gavin, Rezdawg, fruity trident etc. who respond with useful and positive information as oppose to the garbage that Gundam spits out.

I have been honored to have the opportunity to ask this very question as a pre-dental student (Tufts vs. Columbia vs. UCSF vs. USC and why) to the greatest names in this profession. I have talked one on one about it to Dr. Dugoni (Dean of all Deans-Pacific), the CDA president (Dr. Webb), former ADA president (Dr. Sekiguchi), Dr. Slavkin (Dean of USC), Dr. Bradshaw and Dr. Alexander (UCSF), Dr. DeRossi (UPENN), Dr. Chapman and Mark Gonthier (Tufts), Dr. McManus (Columbia), Dr. Tansey and Dr. Lugo (Dean of Temple), Dr. Bibbs (UCLA), Dr. Buchanan (Dean Buffalo), Dr. Yarborough (Pacific) etc., etc.. I have researched these schools as much as you possibly can and after talking about it to all these knowledgeable figures it is clear that it is really which school/city that you feel will fit you best. Everyone had their own different answers and perspectives. Money wasn't an issue and I strongly entertain the idea of specializing (I know it is difficult to say now, but have had tons of exposure so far), and I have always said that dental school will give me the opportunity to check out the East Coast (I have always wanted to live in NYC), SO I CHOSE COLUMBIA. I know I will have the best experience there and the most fun. I also don't frown upon the GPR and AEGD factor because after talking to Dr. Dugoni and Dr. Webb (CDA president) it will be mandatory to do a post graduate residency if you want to practice in the State of California (as it will be in NY). I know that columbia isn't the strongest clinical school, but will give me a great opportunity to specialize with the experience of a lifetime (no one can argue the point that there is no city like NYC). This is the Best Decision for Me and obviously not for everyone.

I truly believe that Tufts and UCSF are arguably the best all around schools in the country, believe me it was a tough decision. I also do believe for what I have seen and talked to (Couldn't believe it but Dean Tansey at Temple called me and we talked for about thirty minutes over the phone a month ago), the best clinical school in the Country is Temple. There is no reason to BASH other schools and get into the childish, "My school is better than yours debate." All the schools are good and anyone will get out what they put in. This is the competitive attitude that most students wanted to get away from as an undergraduate. These forums are to answer each other's questions and to help each other out. Most of the responses to this thread were a waste of each other's times. It is clear who will be playing the "cut throat" game to further their own status next year. I'm glad you didn't choose Columbia Gundam, your childish attitude would not make it. To put so much time into putting other students down on this forum, shows the pathetic person you are. The amount of time you spend on SDN putting others down shows the type of life (or lack there of) you are living Also your whole "I chose Tufts because my dentist graduated from Tufts and he is rich and I want to be rich to so I chose tufts as well" argument is purely comical. It sounds like something my seven year old cousin would say. There are many people from every dental school who have tremendous success, don't go to Tufts becasue your dentist told you to do so, son. If you want to listen to everyone else, become a dental assistant. With all your posts it is amazing to me that you are old enough to be in College. Lets take this one for instance.

gundam said:
I feel bad for you son, you don't even have faith in yourself. You probably are a loser anyways. If you dare let me know you name, my friends at Columbia law school will teach you a good lesson.

Are you kidding me "you probably are a loser anyways," that is elementary school man. This threat that you are making here I will take seriously. I have two very close buddy's (like brothers) from San Diego who will be in your class next year at Tufts and one who is currently a first year at Tufts. If you spit any more threats like this out, hiding behind your computer, I will make sure you will not make it through orientation week. They will make your life at Tufts a living Hell. I will also be visitng them on Labor Day weekend, I'll make sure it is done Son. I am not playing around with you, I am not a 20 year old computer geek who throws out threats because you don't think you can be tracked down. Do not respond to this with a remark to look tough in front of the SDN community, this is no joke. If you change your anti-social attitude, I will have my buddy's help you find a date for your lonely nights in Boston (instead of your inevitable weekend nights with your computer).

Quietguy, I don't know why you had to lower yourself and jump on his senseless bandwagon. I got into many shcools including yours with a 3.2, that defense doesn't hold up. I partied my butt off the first 2 years and achieved a whopping 2.5. I then aced the classes (mostly science) my last two years. Even though your stats are off, numbers don't mean everything. I have had real dental exposure and made a difference as a pre-dental student that most of the professionals have told me is unheard of. Don't bash a school because they look at a student's overall package as oppose to a number (that is one thing I admired about UCSF). Quietguy, You have good grades to get over your lack of personality (your name definitely fits). Sounds like you need to have a 4.0 because you haven't learned how to interact with people yet. Hopefully it will happen in time. I stayed at the Psi Omega Fraternity house at UCSF a couple times, they were definitely some cool dudes. Maybe they can help you out at UCSF with your Problem :thumbup:

Bottom Line all the dental schools are great and have there own strengths. We are collectively entering a profession to make a difference and achieve success, Let SDN serve its purpose. I chose Columbia, thanks for the USEFUL information. This thread is DONE :)

When i say negative things about Columbia, Im not "bashing" it.....I just try and clear up misconceptions about the school, such as the one that PIZZAM has that Columbia will help you specialize......

Lets just hope that PIZZAM doesnt fall into the majority of Columbia's class who doesnt specialize right away and goes into a GPR cause Im sure those guys are pissed, cause they thought 4 years ago that they would specialize coming out of Columbia.....I kinda feel bad for them.

Also, lets hope that PIZZAM doesnt change his mind during dental school and become a GP, cause right now, he and every other clueless predent wants to be OMFS/ortho/endo, but might realize that its not what they thought it was when they actually get their hands dirty.....

Anyways PIZZAM, good luck bud! :thumbup:

PIZZAM said:
Wow, I'm pretty surprised this thread is still going, definitely took a turn for the worst. I will never understand the students who bash other students and schools to get over their own inferiority complex. Good thing there are more students like Gavin, Rezdawg, fruity trident etc. who respond with useful and positive information as oppose to the garbage that Gundam spits out.

I have been honored to have the opportunity to ask this very question as a pre-dental student (Tufts vs. Columbia vs. UCSF vs. USC and why) to the greatest names in this profession. I have talked one on one about it to Dr. Dugoni (Dean of all Deans-Pacific), the CDA president (Dr. Webb), former ADA president (Dr. Sekiguchi), Dr. Slavkin (Dean of USC), Dr. Bradshaw and Dr. Alexander (UCSF), Dr. DeRossi (UPENN), Dr. Chapman and Mark Gonthier (Tufts), Dr. McManus (Columbia), Dr. Tansey and Dr. Lugo (Dean of Temple), Dr. Bibbs (UCLA), Dr. Buchanan (Dean Buffalo), Dr. Yarborough (Pacific) etc., etc.. I have researched these schools as much as you possibly can and after talking about it to all these knowledgeable figures it is clear that it is really which school/city that you feel will fit you best. Everyone had their own different answers and perspectives. Money wasn't an issue and I strongly entertain the idea of specializing (I know it is difficult to say now, but have had tons of exposure so far), and I have always said that dental school will give me the opportunity to check out the East Coast (I have always wanted to live in NYC), SO I CHOSE COLUMBIA. I know I will have the best experience there and the most fun. I also don't frown upon the GPR and AEGD factor because after talking to Dr. Dugoni and Dr. Webb (CDA president) it will be mandatory to do a post graduate residency if you want to practice in the State of California (as it will be in NY). I know that columbia isn't the strongest clinical school, but will give me a great opportunity to specialize with the experience of a lifetime (no one can argue the point that there is no city like NYC). This is the Best Decision for Me and obviously not for everyone.

I truly believe that Tufts and UCSF are arguably the best all around schools in the country, believe me it was a tough decision. I also do believe for what I have seen and talked to (Couldn't believe it but Dean Tansey at Temple called me and we talked for about thirty minutes over the phone a month ago), the best clinical school in the Country is Temple. There is no reason to BASH other schools and get into the childish, "My school is better than yours debate." All the schools are good and anyone will get out what they put in. This is the competitive attitude that most students wanted to get away from as an undergraduate. These forums are to answer each other's questions and to help each other out. Most of the responses to this thread were a waste of each other's times. It is clear who will be playing the "cut throat" game to further their own status next year. I'm glad you didn't choose Columbia Gundam, your childish attitude would not make it. To put so much time into putting other students down on this forum, shows the pathetic person you are. The amount of time you spend on SDN putting others down shows the type of life (or lack there of) you are living Also your whole "I chose Tufts because my dentist graduated from Tufts and he is rich and I want to be rich to so I chose tufts as well" argument is purely comical. It sounds like something my seven year old cousin would say. There are many people from every dental school who have tremendous success, don't go to Tufts becasue your dentist told you to do so, son. If you want to listen to everyone else, become a dental assistant. With all your posts it is amazing to me that you are old enough to be in College. Lets take this one for instance.

Are you kidding me "you probably are a loser anyways," that is elementary school man. This threat that you are making here I will take seriously. I have two very close buddy's (like brothers) from San Diego who will be in your class next year at Tufts and one who is currently a first year at Tufts. If you spit any more threats like this out, hiding behind your computer, I will make sure you will not make it through orientation week. They will make your life at Tufts a living Hell. I will also be visitng them on Labor Day weekend, I'll make sure it is done Son. I am not playing around with you, I am not a 20 year old computer geek who throws out threats because you don't think you can be tracked down. Do not respond to this with a remark to look tough in front of the SDN community, this is no joke. If you change your anti-social attitude, I will have my buddy's help you find a date for your lonely nights in Boston (instead of your inevitable weekend nights with your computer).

Quietguy, I don't know why you had to lower yourself and jump on his senseless bandwagon. I got into many shcools including yours with a 3.2, that defense doesn't hold up. I partied my butt off the first 2 years and achieved a whopping 2.5. I then aced the classes (mostly science) my last two years. Even though your stats are off, numbers don't mean everything. I have had real dental exposure and made a difference as a pre-dental student that most of the professionals have told me is unheard of. Don't bash a school because they look at a student's overall package as oppose to a number (that is one thing I admired about UCSF). Quietguy, You have good grades to get over your lack of personality (your name definitely fits). Sounds like you need to have a 4.0 because you haven't learned how to interact with people yet. Hopefully it will happen in time. I stayed at the Psi Omega Fraternity house at UCSF a couple times, they were definitely some cool dudes. Maybe they can help you out at UCSF with your Problem :thumbup:

Bottom Line all the dental schools are great and have there own strengths. We are collectively entering a profession to make a difference and achieve success, Let SDN serve its purpose. I chose Columbia, thanks for the USEFUL information. This thread is DONE :)

You need to chill, and you shouldn't have dragged out this thread if you had your mind set. You are simply wasting others' time.
Realsa is a jerk, that's why I said those over heated words to him. I wouldn't want to fight against my future collegues at Tufts. About the date, keep it to yourself, I have a nice gf.
I'm out. More than ever I'm convinced that Columbia produces arrogant jerk dentist, and I'm glad I won't end up in that poo poo damn hole for 5 years.