Tulane MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MandyFlora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I haven't really read much about Tulane in this forum. I've applied and been accepted to Tulane, BU, GWU and Yale -- waitlisted at Columbia. I've been considering options and I originally through away Tulane because of geographical distance (i'm from Boston) from home, but now I'm wondering if that's a bad choice. Anyone visit the program? How is New Orleans itself? The programs looked really interesting. Let me know your thoughts! I applied for Global Health and Development (which I believe is the new name of the program? they've been changing names). Also.. if anyone has any idea about the Columbia wait list... let me know your thoughts on that, I was waitlisted for HPM. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been to Tulane, but a friend of mine studied there and had great things to say about the program. He loved New Orleans and now lives in Savannah, another Southern town with lots of history. If you want to do Peace Corps they have a great affiliation with them.

I lived in RI/MA for about 6 years when I was in the military. New Orleans is quite different, to say the least. To me, It's pretty dirty but it does have some nice culture and a unique vibe. I couldn't get into the Mardi Gras thing, but it's nice to get an extra spring break. I'm not all that happy with my decision to attend tulane because of my overall experience dealing with faculty and staff,as well as the quality of the courses (especially with that price tag) but I think it's department specific.
What are you hoping to do with your mph? Given your concerns, I would choose Yale, BU or GWU. You can visit new Orleans at any point, and I don't consider Tulane exceptional enough to make you happy with moving far from home,since that seems important you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm did my MPH at Tulane in the epi department, so I figured I'd throw my $0.02 in. Tulane is a good school, but like anywhere, you need to work hard to establish opportunities for yourself. Some other programs might make it easier to get involved in things, but there is certainly no lack of opportunities at Tulane.

I've found the quality of the coursework to be excellent in biostats and epi. The other core courses and some other stuff I've taken are total fluff, but I would have thought that about those courses at any place. For reference, I did my undergrad at Hopkins and took classes at JHSPH - I've found Tulane's courses and instruction to be far superior.

Ultimately, it is what you make it. I learned a lot at Tulane and it got me where I needed to go. You got into some good schools, but don't throw out Tulane so fast. Think about where you want to go with your career and decide if Tulane (and New Orleans) can help you. Maybe the other places would suit you better. I've known quite a few students in many departments at Tulane who were very happy. I knew some others who definitely were not. I truly believe it all comes down to an individual's attitude and desire to create the best experience for themselves.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm did my MPH at Tulane in the epi department, so I figured I'd throw my $0.02 in. Tulane is a good school, but like anywhere, you need to work hard to establish opportunities for yourself. Some other programs might make it easier to get involved in things, but there is certainly no lack of opportunities at Tulane.

I've found the quality of the coursework to be excellent in biostats and epi. The other core courses and some other stuff I've taken are total fluff, but I would have thought that about those courses at any place. For reference, I did my undergrad at Hopkins and took classes at JHSPH - I've found Tulane's courses and instruction to be far superior.

Ultimately, it is what you make it. I learned a lot at Tulane and it got me where I needed to go. You got into some good schools, but don't throw out Tulane so fast. Think about where you want to go with your career and decide if Tulane (and New Orleans) can help you. Maybe the other places would suit you better. I've known quite a few students in many departments at Tulane who were very happy. I knew some others who definitely were not. I truly believe it all comes down to an individual's attitude and desire to create the best experience for themselves.

Good luck!

Do you happen to know anything about the Global health program in Tulane?

Tulane's Global Health program is highly regarded globally. It's definitely in the same league as Emory . Also, if you're interested in tropical medicine (Caribbean and Central America), Tulane trumps the other schools.

i will throw my 2 cents in as well as an alum (undergraduate). if you are looking for a cultural experience as well as an education tulane can't be beat. new orleans is a very unique city with a fascinating history. it was a wonderful place to go to college. i always tell people that being in new orleans sometimes doesn't even feel like you are in the united states! this could be a good or bad thing for you - i know you said you initially wanted to stay closer to home. but if you are looking to expand your horizons for a couple years there's no better opportunity. and yes, there's mardi gras and all of that - but the city also has a lot of other festivals, traditions, and things to explore outside of the typical partying and drinking. the city has deep pride and there is a very real spirit of keeping the city quirky and artsy. there is also a really high level of community engagement with lots of non-profits and neighborhood organizations and such. not to mention the food - yum or the jazz music - fantastic (if you're a fan). i still try to go back and visit as often as i can.

i know that gave you nothing about the program (i don't have graduate experience there) but hopefully you can see what you might be able to enjoy if you decide to attend. it sounds like you have gotten into some really good programs! good luck with your choice.