Turning down externship but then applying there for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylortaylor164

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied to two VAs for externship next year. One further away from where I live and one closer by. The one further away is probably going to be my top choice when I apply to internship in a couple years. However, the one closer is more convenient and may be best for next year. My question is whether turning down the externship further away will negatively impact my internship application given the supervisors there also oversee the internship program? Also does withdrawing my application before getting a decision look better than turning down an offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what others think, but I have been told that sometimes actually going to a site for externship may limit your chances there for internship assuming the supervisors subscribe to the model of "you've already trained here, what more can you learn?" Of course, if there are dramatically different experiences interns have or a different service on which you'd do your primary rotation, then maybe you're a-okay for internship, or if both you and the site think the match is strong, you are probably in a good position for internship apps.

As someone who applied to a (very good) site for both my 1st and 2nd external prac and took offers elsewhere that were more aligned with my training goals, I think the main thing is how you go about rejecting an offer or withdrawing. Early withdrawal might look better because it means the practicum committee or supervisor won't burn any more resources considering your application, which I am guessing is a good thing considering that supervision and the bureaucracy behind it is often a *huge* time suck for folks. In general, being professional in turning down an offer is always advisable (i.e., don't burn bridges). I politely explained in my responses to the site I did not accept offers from twice why I was going to X site and then Y site. In my case, even though the site I turned down is truly excellent (and I will apply for internship), I wanted to get training at X and Y (special populations) that site Z does not offer at a practicum level.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I applied to two VAs for externship next year. One further away from where I live and one closer by. The one further away is probably going to be my top choice when I apply to internship in a couple years. However, the one closer is more convenient and may be best for next year. My question is whether turning down the externship further away will negatively impact my internship application given the supervisors there also oversee the internship program? Also does withdrawing my application before getting a decision look better than turning down an offer?
Just make you sure you turn down the offer by leaving the door open.

"I deeply appreciate your offer, and hope that we may have a future training opportunity together. At this time, I have chosen a site better-suited for my current stage, but plan to keep your site in mind for internship.....yada, yada, yada...."

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my own experience with VA training programs, it may be entirely different people reviewing your application as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,
Hello! I just matched at my top site which is a site I applied to and was rejected to for externship twice! It can happen :)

I also did my post doc at a site that rejected me for internship. Never say never!

Reactions: 1 user