TUSPM Books/Study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcbound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been accepted into TUSPM and I wanted to get a running head start.
Just have a couple questions for those in TUSPM:

1) What were you study habits? The pod I'm shadowing says to read the textbook before class, taking notes, then change it during class, so the class is the 2nd time you've seen the material. Not sure if that works, if group study works, if solo study works, etc.

2) Which first year classes do you rank harder or easier than others? The classes that need extra time to fully understand?

3) Any idea what textbooks/review books to study? I have a lot of free time and I want to spend it learning before I go into the first year... I'm good at textbook studying.

Any other tips and hints would be useful. You can also message me if you do not want to say anything on here.

Really excited about my first year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I've been accepted into TUSPM and I wanted to get a running head start.

1) What were you study habits? The pod I'm shadowing says to read the textbook before class, taking notes, then change it during class, so the class is the 2nd time you've seen the material. Not sure if that works, if group study works, if solo study works, etc.

2) Which first year classes do you rank harder or easier than others? The classes that need extra time to fully understand?

3) Any idea what textbooks/review books to study? I have a lot of free time and I want to spend it learning before I go into the first year... I'm good at textbook studying.

Any other tips and hints would be useful. You can also message me if you do not want to say anything on here.

Not from TUSPM, but I think your questions are general enough I'll take a stab.

1) Evaluate what YOUR study habits have been previously. Everyone will learn differently. Don't come in and try to switch everything up. Do what you can to keep your head above water for the first few exams until you find what works for you. In general, most people would say that reviewing material before classes is a great idea, because the second the lecture starts to go above your head, you'll lose focus and be wasting time. However, you'll probably find it won't always be possible to prepare for each lecture while cramming for each test.

3) Personal advice... Don't. Relax knowing that you've been accepted and have 3 months of time to decompress. Go on a trip, visit family, spend time with friends, read for leisure (not necessity), etc. These are the things you'll wish you had done later when you realize all the work you put in to get a few points higher on a few exams.

I currently attend TUSPM and I agree with SandersCalc. Don't review before starting. You'll be doing plenty of ready/studying when you start. I have classmates that tried that first year and it didn't really help them all that much. Just relax and have fun while you can.

1.) Your study habits are whatever works for you. I personally had to change up the way I study because I found out after the first exam it wasn't working as well as I wanted it to. You'll know if you have to tweak your study habits after the first couple exams. Studying in groups all depends on the class you're studying for. I enjoyed studying in groups for General Anatomy, and Histology, but I went solo for physiology and neuroanatomy.

2.) At TUSPM, Histology if probably the hardest class first semester. I know the past couple years there have been about 20-30 people fail the course (out of 100 students). Anatomy and Lower extremity anatomy are taught well at TUSPM so I didn't find them all that difficult.

3.) As I said before, I'd suggest not studying before you start classes because you don't want to burn out. However, if you really want to study, the BRS book for physiology, Netters for anatomy, and BRS for General Anatomy should be helpful.

Congrats on your acceptance into TUSPM! Welcome to the family!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm just going to do the study habits I had for when I studied for my MCAT, which seemed to work very well for me. The reason I am asking for study tips is that I do not want to just keep my head above water, especially when a lot of the scholarships have a GPA minimum/ top percentage of class minimum. I have a pretty big scholarship for the first year, but I want to maintain and get something similar for the other years as well.

Alright I'll try not to over do it. But I do think I have a lot of spare time in which I could fit in at least two classes worth of studying. I found out what BioChem book my teacher is using and I'm already making great headway with that.

The main class I'm worried about is Anatomy. I hear people recommend different textbooks, different Atlases, or just study teacher's notes, it seems all over the place.

Thanks for the reply Irish Giants, glad to be a part of the family.

What do all the people who fail Histology do? Is there tutoring help available for those who might need it?

That is very reassuring about Anatomy. I emailed the biochem prof and he said he doesn't have any required texts just a recommended book which I am going through.

I just finished my 1st year at Temple and I wouldn't recommend trying to study at all during the summer. Enjoy the time off while you can because you have long days of studying ahead of you. For histology, which everyone "fears" just use Blue Histology online, BRS Histo, and memorize lectures/labs and you'll be fine. I don't know why it is the most failed class, because it is manageable if you put the work in and the questions are never hard. For physio use BRS Physio and some channels on youtube (khanacademymedicine) because lectures can be confusing. Use netter's for anatomy (maybe BRS). In anatomy, make a lot of flashcards if that's your thing because it's straight repetition. If you want to get ahead I would memorize the brachial plexus for the 1st unit. For neuroanatomy you don't need the textbook, just memorize her slides. For biochem you should get BRS biochem, which was a lifesaver in class. You don't need to get any text/review books for LEA to get ahead, and since you're taking it spring semester I would just worry about other classes first. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users