Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would med schools look at tutoring organic chemistry starting sophomore year? At my University, there is special tutoring program for organic, where I would tutor individually and hold study sessions for the students, where I would basically act as an instructor. I figure I can count this as leadership. Does it look good, or would it be better to spend my time doing volunteering or something like that? I could potentially do both, might be tough though.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it looks excellent. It shows adcoms that you have reached a certain level of mastery of a very difficult realm of science; moreover, holding such a position means that you have above average skills in communication, leadership, planning and guidance - all of which are crucial skills in medicine. I'd say go for it.

Here's my $0.02

Most of my ECs revolved around some kind of tutoring - different subjects, both through school and privately. My school actually had something very similar to what you describe (it's called Supplemental Instruction here). I did it for General Chemistry,

I think it all depends on how you present it. If you present it as just another job, that's how they'll look at it. Teaching is very important to me and was in fact central to my PS, so I presented tutoring as an integral part of my life, and explained what I learned from it, etc.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would med schools look at tutoring organic chemistry starting sophomore year? At my University, there is special tutoring program for organic, where I would tutor individually and hold study sessions for the students, where I would basically act as an instructor. I figure I can count this as leadership. Does it look good, or would it be better to spend my time doing volunteering or something like that? I could potentially do both, might be tough though.

I do SI for Organic at my Uni. I do shadowing as well, and start volunteering in the fall.

Tutoring is a valuable experience. You'll learn that medical school, residency, and beyond all includes teaching. As a resident, you have to teach medical students. It's great to gain some teaching experience.