Two D's In organic Chemistry. Dream ruined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LookingForAnswers81

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A in all other 6 pre-med courses, and then an A in biochem to "make up" for the D's

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have clinical volunteering?
You are obviously retaking those Ds right?
If so, they won't be too much of an issue (but that low sGPA will).
Why are you doing a Master's and not a postbacc?

The dream is definitely not dead as long as you do well on your MCAT.

Why did you take Orgo 2 if you made a D in Orgo 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
No it's not over. But you really need to retake them (and ace them), during the summer or whenever. Maybe if you ace the MCAT you will be okay, maybe. I would retake them though.

Thanks for the reply! I have no plans on retaking them. I don't want to budge on that. Will that be a problem (i.e. Is it against policy to accept someone with D's? Is there any chance that could waived?)

I choose a Master's because the program was really interesting and I view it as a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I also did clinical research one summer.

What? :eek:
Uhhh that's up to you I guess. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply! I have no plans on retaking them. I don't want to budge on that. Will that be a problem (i.e. Is it against policy to accept someone with D's? Is there any chance that could waived?)

I choose a Master's because the program was really interesting and I view it as a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm sure people have gotten into med school with D's in organic chemistry, but that is certainly the exception to the rule. What makes you think you are going to ace organic chemistry on the MCAT? If you somehow manage it, that would lend credence to what you are saying. I can almost guarantee you will be asked about O-chem during your interview. Are you going to respond that you refused to retake those classes? As for the part in bold: what if you can't get in? Are you going to give up on med school rather than retake 2 classes? The masters won't do anything to remediate this by the way, it's just a high-caliber EC.

Edit: Just noticed your sGPA is a 3.2. When coupled with two D's in Organic, that is a problem. You will need higher than a 33 (or whatever the equivalent is) to overcome that. Keep your nose to the grindstone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don't think that there is a policy against accepting someone with D's, per se. Some (most?) medical schools have prerequisite courses such as organic chemistry that a prospective applicant must pass with a C or higher, so you may discover a plethora of schools that you are ineligible for if you neglect retaking those courses. But good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: 1 user

alternative plan, take biochem and physical chem (since your grade is good in Gen chem)to close the gap of your sGPA.

...you realize a lot of medical schools don't accept pre-reqs with scores under a C, right? I would rethink what you do want to budge on or not budge on, because admissions committees won't budge on throwing your application out as soon as they see what you're packing for orgo.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you name some medical schools where you know this is the case? Can anyone confirm this?
I can't think of any schools that don't want you to pass your prereqs. You are going to have a hard time finding anywhere to apply with 2 D's in organic chemistry. That really is the takeaway of this thread

Ask the Adcoms. @gyngyn and @Goro have already displayed their agreement that retakes would be wise. I didn't do research on these schools because this was never my situation.

Here's a story: it involves two applicants. Both got Ds in two of their prerequisite courses. One of the students retook them and got a great grade because they worked really hard! The other one refused to retake the classes, settling for the D. Now they've reached the time to submit their application. Who get's accepted? The one who proves they can master the material or the one who settles for nearly failing, hoping it will carry them through despite their already <10% GPA? I'll let you find out the ending to that story.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you please explain why you don't want to retake those classes?

Everybody on this thread is advising you to retake. Are you willing to gamble your future as a physician for this?

I would wager that an A in a course =/= a high biological sciences score on the MCAT. One shows mastery of material, the other shows mastery of a standardized test. And this is assuming you achieve that high score on the MCAT. I am not on an admissions committee, so I do not know how the disparity would be seen.

Could you please explain why you don't want to retake those classes?

Everybody on this thread is advising you to retake. Are you willing to gamble your future as a physician for this?

I don't think it is in the realm of possibilities to fit that into my schedule before I apply to med school next summer. I am taking my MCAT's this summer so all of my time is allocated towards studying for that, and then I start the masters program during the Fall (they aren't going to let me take undergrad courses during that time). It seems that I would have to finish my masters, not apply next summer, instead apply the following summer, and do a postbac program where I take one orgo course each semester during that time. Finances aside, wouldn't it be better to apply next summer and see what happens as opposed to not applying at all? If I don't get accepted, I would have to do the postbac anyway, and if I do get accepted, well that would be great!

Again, if I score high on the MCAT, especially on the orgo section, why wouldn't that show I have mastered that content? I am hoping someone can answer that question for me. If that is not good enough, perhaps I will have no choice but to do a postbac and push my application back another year.

I definitely don't want to apply if it is out of the realm of possibilities that I will be accepted, but it doesn't bother me if the odds are against me. If other people have been accepted with D's, why can't that be me, right? (I pose that as a genuine question)

P.S. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this post!

Ah, here we are. Now we're talking about a different situation. It's not so much a "won't" but "can't." We were largely under the impression that you just did not want to, but there are things you can't change and just have to work with. I see no reason to take both a postbac and a masters unless your GPA is still suffering. If that is the case, then it would be good to retake, but if you perform excellently (like, perfectly) in your masters, then you could be set.

A lot of folks here will tell you to apply once, apply right. I agree with them, especially in your case. I don't think one year is enough to repair your GPA and show you are ready for medical school. Someone with a 3.2 is very much a longshot, even with a very good MCAT. The thing about scoring high...how do you know you will? How have your practice tests been going? Are you sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can wreck those biological sciences sections?

As for your last question, I understand the thinking of "other people did it, so can I!" But this is fallacious thinking. Medical admissions is a huge system, and you are bound to encounter any story at least once. We have all heard of the underdog with bad grades in pre-requisites who got in, but know that you face a sampling bias when you hear these stories. You are asking about the underdog, so you hear about the underdog. The truth is that someone who made good grades in those courses is more likely to be considered than the one who did not, all other things equal. Of course, all other things are never equal...

EDIT: Great job on the A! That record looks great besides the Ds!

Please be a troll.

Orgo is like 5% of the new MCAT.
You could technically fail the orgo portion miserably and still do well overall.
Unless you got the equivalent of a 14 or 15 you would have no way of proving you are competent on the subject.