Two questions about OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, just wondering, if someone did not do any research in undergrad, and didn't do any research in dental school, would this hinder their chances of getting into an OMFS program? I ask because I have read there is a research component to the degree.

My second question is, why don't Oral Surgeons use the MD after their name? I thought a graduate of the program does a year of general surgery which fulfills the requirements for the medical license.

Members don't see this ad.

1. You don't HAVE to do research, but it can only help. But don't spend time doing research at the expense of more important things like grades and board scores.

2. The MD is optional to OMFS. Only about 40% of the programs in the country offer them. Even if you have an MD, OMFS is a dental specialty accredited by the dental powers-that-be. If an MD wants to enter the specialty, he HAS to get a DDS/DMD because that is the only degree reqiurement.

Dont listen to toofache dude. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Truthfully, most oral surgeons just need to complete a 2 week caribbean medical school program by correspondance to get their MD. You really don't need to do all of the real medical school here in the states. After this you will be able to put MD on all of your offical titles. If you don't believe me ask this group of oral surgeons up in Kansas City, they do it.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most OMFS programs will "encourage" research and often not required. What is required is fairly minimal for most programs such as a submit a "publishable" manuscript or leave OMFS service for one month and do a month of research. Research based OMFS programs are far and few between.

Another answer for question 2: Keep in mind that some MD OMFS do not activate their medical license in the state they work in so often they simply leave the MD out of their office sign, business cards, and websites.

....Keep in mind that some MD OMFS do not activate their medical license in the state they work in so often they simply leave the MD out of their office sign, business cards, and websites.

One of our recent grads did this. It was cheaper to just pay for one license than 2.

I personally think having an MD is beneficial. I keep both the MD and dental license active. The MD made it easier to obtain hospital privlidges, I can prescribe whatever I want without worrying about it, I do not have to worry about the political BS that the future may hold (such as not being able to perform H&P's as the case in some states), and my patients think it is worth something. Often they say they are more comfortable being treated by someone with an MD after their name. Is this right? Of course not but if it makes the patient feel better then so be it.

There must be something to having an MD, otherwise why would all these individuals be getting their off shore medical degrees. The only drawback to this is that they cannot really use the degree if they dont obtain a US medical license in which you need to first pass USMLE I, II, and III first. And none of these guys are doing it.

Dont listen to toofache dude. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Truthfully, most oral surgeons just need to complete a 2 week caribbean medical school program by correspondance to get their MD. You really don't need to do all of the real medical school here in the states. After this you will be able to put MD on all of your offical titles. If you don't believe me ask this group of oral surgeons up in Kansas City, they do it.:smuggrin:

You already knew some OS went and got their MDs from what consumers called " diploma mills" as I read from a newspaper article. I personally have no problems if they got the MDs this way but took all the neccessary exam requirements like the regular US OMFS lads. I would then rightfully called myself "physician" if I "do the deed" like my collegues. If not, then I just don't feel right. There was an article back in the newspaper couple years ago and it makes the oral surgeons look very bad in the public eye regarding obtaining MDs this way. DP

I personally want to get my DVM.... then I could be the O N L Y DDS, DVM Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in the entire country country!!!!! I could fix saber-tooth tiger jaw fractures and do expose and bonds on impacted python teeth..... it would give me tons more prestige when I'm down at the feed lot or at the auction and the vets are all sitting around and mutter in hushed tones to themselves, "he's not a real doctor, he's just a dentist..."

I think the practice of adding MD after your degree is more widespread than you think. I was a strip mall a few years ago and there were so many Paul Smith DC,MD or Paul Jones OD, MD that I wonder why somebody with medical degree would practice chiropratic or optometry instead? DP

I personally want to get my DVM.... then I could be the O N L Y DDS, DVM Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in the entire country country!!!!! I could fix saber-tooth tiger jaw fractures and do expose and bonds on impacted python teeth..... it would give me tons more prestige when I'm down at the feed lot or at the auction and the vets are all sitting around and mutter in hushed tones to themselves, "he's not a real doctor, he's just a dentist..."

I think you're a few years too late. Pogrel (sp?) had already performed several BSSO's on dogs. :laugh:

I think you're a few years too late. Pogrel (sp?) had already performed several BSSO's on dogs. :laugh:

Hey man, just because they're ugly and you're not desperate and drunk doesn't mean you can call them dogs....good job of raining on my sense of self worth though....

I think the practice of adding MD after your degree is more widespread than you think. I was a strip mall a few years ago and there were so many Paul Smith DC,MD or Paul Jones OD, MD that I wonder why somebody with medical degree would practice chiropratic or optometry instead? DP

Nothing better, returning from almost a year-long absence, than seeing that you're still churning out quality posts.

This dude is near my hometown... never heard of him. He must lay low... cause he certainly hasn't made any waves in the community in the last few years.
1) The guy seems to have his head on straight. He mentions the GP is the one who should be coordinating patient care, describes the problem without overselling it (i.e. no "GINGIVITIS WILL BURN YOUR HOMES, RAPE YOUR DAUGHTERS, AND KILL YOUR UNBORN BABIES" garbage), and doesn't make a crutch out of his MD.

2) Am I the only one who thinks that mirror looks more like a 3-wood than a dental instrument?

3) If he's near your home, I guess that makes you a South2NorthOMFS. (Hurf hurf I made a funny)

1) The guy seems to have his head on straight. He mentions the GP is the one who should be coordinating patient care, describes the problem without overselling it (i.e. no "GINGIVITIS WILL BURN YOUR HOMES, RAPE YOUR DAUGHTERS, AND KILL YOUR UNBORN BABIES" garbage), and doesn't make a crutch out of his MD.

2) Am I the only one who thinks that mirror looks more like a 3-wood than a dental instrument?

3) If he's near your home, I guess that makes you a South2NorthOMFS. (Hurf hurf I made a funny)

I think he's still got that crap on his website... under the title of "medical consequences of periodontal disease."

As far as the north/south and south/north... still hard to tell us apart though. Its the mullets!

Anybody got that pic from last year of all of us in a group with the mullets? Remember?

It looks like he went to US med school, with postgraduate intern year and is licensed in medicine in state of south carolina. so he is legit DDS, MD.

I don't have problem with it at all as far as his credentials. He earned the MD so he has every right to post it. The thing is that a lay person who has no knowledge about implant surgery may think that having a MD is more qualified to render implant placement than others without the MD. As we all know, medical school teaches you squat about implant placement. But he has all the right to post his degree. I do have problems of those who got the MD that are not allowed to practice medicine but yet post the MD on their cards. DP