Two Questions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halflife94

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I have several interviews scheduled but when it comes to advanced vs. categorical do programs have a set number of spots of each or is it ok to tell them which one I want to do?

2. Some of the interviews I have are at large academic programs with good reputations, others are at smaller community programs. I guess my question is more for any attendings or residents but how much of a hit will you take on the job market if any will you take if you want to go to a community program vs. mid-high caliber academic?

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help. -HalfLife

Members don't see this ad.

for question 1 I meant programs that have both tracks

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs will have you choose what track you want, others won't. They'll tell you at the interview.

I'm not sure if going to a community program diminishes your job potential. A big name will get you leads on jobs I'm sure, but local connections are key as well, so if you like the area then a smaller program without name might be fine.

Each track will have a different program number when you do your rank list. You can rank one or both.