Two quick dental questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In2Infinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, just two quick questions...

Firstly is more important, I am wanting to know if spring (and i guess summer courses as well) are taken into account and used to calculate your GPA. The reason i ask is because i may take a spring anatomy course that has the worth a full course and would really want it to be able to boost my GPA, will AADSAS include this when they calculate my GPA or will they skip over it if they see it wasn't taken in the regular school year.

Secondly, does anyone know if after completing a dental degree from a US school, if they want to enter Canada again and practice dental there would you have to take some sort of test to be able to?

thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, just two quick questions...

Firstly is more important, I am wanting to know if spring (and i guess summer courses as well) are taken into account and used to calculate your GPA. The reason i ask is because i may take a spring anatomy course that has the worth a full course and would really want it to be able to boost my GPA, will AADSAS include this when they calculate my GPA or will they skip over it if they see it wasn't taken in the regular school year.

Secondly, does anyone know if after completing a dental degree from a US school, if they want to enter Canada again and practice dental there would you have to take some sort of test to be able to?

thanks a lot!

for 1) when you apply through AADSAS, it doesn't matter when the course was taken, whats important is, did you receive a grade and is that grade shown on your college transcript.... If the answer is yes to both, then you can report it to AADSAS..... Remember, AADSAS verifies all your grades by looking at your official college transcripts (You'll have to have your college(es) mail to AADSAS)

for 2) I have no idea.... post this question in the "dental" forum.... there is a higher chance of having a Canadian dental student in USA who knows how to get back to Canada to practice

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks for the help! that is awesome if they do count spring courses for your GPA :)

for 1) when you apply through AADSAS, it doesn't matter when the course was taken, whats important is, did you receive a grade and is that grade shown on your college transcript.... If the answer is yes to both, then you can report it to AADSAS..... Remember, AADSAS verifies all your grades by looking at your official college transcripts (You'll have to have your college(es) mail to AADSAS)

for 2) I have no idea.... post this question in the "dental" forum.... there is a higher chance of having a Canadian dental student in USA who knows how to get back to Canada to practice

so does this mean you cannot apply BEFORE the spring grades are released if you want your spring grades to count into your gpa? Or can you apply on June 1st and do like an academic update where you can report your spring grades when they come out? Thanks

Oh and one more thing, thats even more important.

Does AADSAS count every single grade for say the science GPA? i mean if we have more courses than necessary which ones do they choose? do they only choose the courses that contribute to your degree? or every course on the transcript will be used to calculate GPA?

any help would be great!

Does AADSAS count every single grade for say the science GPA? i mean if we have more courses than necessary which ones do they choose? do they only choose the courses that contribute to your degree? or every course on the transcript will be used to calculate GPA?

any help would be great!

They're going to use every course on your transcript, though they only apply undergraduate courses to your science GPA (all bio, chem, physics, math, and other sciences); source:

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...tructions/Documents/2011 GPA Calculations.pdf

any help would be great!
Science GPA- any GPA in a science course. Kind of gray area on some sciences.

BCP- Any grade in a course in the biology, chemistry, or physics department. The most important to schools.

Overall GPA- Any grade in any course. Still important, so don't blow off your non-sciences, but BCP is still the most important.

They will look at all courses in any of these categories, not just pre-reqs.

#2. Canadian-trained dentists can practice in the states (just need to be licensed) and American-trained dentists can practice in Canada. I don't believe the process is much more complicated than changing from one state to another. My sister-in-law (a pediatric dentist) is Canadian and, for a time, was considering moving here.