Two research interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sar21leo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'll be applying to doctoral programs next year and I was wondering if it is possible to have two research interests when you apply. I'm interested in the treatment and prevention of both eating disorders and obesity but my advisor is telling me that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum (she researches obesity). I know they may be treated differently but many of the professors I'm looking at have published studies in both areas. Would a professor doing research with eating disorders take a student who has worked primarily with obesity? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'll be applying to doctoral programs next year and I was wondering if it is possible to have two research interests when you apply. I'm interested in the treatment and prevention of both eating disorders and obesity but my advisor is telling me that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum (she researches obesity). I know they may be treated differently but many of the professors I'm looking at have published studies in both areas. Would a professor doing research with eating disorders take a student who has worked primarily with obesity? Thanks!

I have two pretty divergent research interests. In all of my applications I made sure to tie the two interests together, but I definitely made sure to focus on area A or area B more intently depending on the focus of the school. I anticipated getting all interviews at schools with either focus in area A or area B, but I've had a pretty even split so far. Faculty who have seemed the most interested have expressed interest in collaborating with different faculty and departments and using my diverse background as sort of an excuse for branching out into new research areas, which is really exciting, but I haven't heard back from any schools post-interview yet, so I don't know how it'll all pan out.

**edit: I got my first offer this evening, and the faculty seem very interested in opportunities for collaboration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I dont understand what she means. 1.) Binge eating disorder is recognized syndrome 2.) why on earth does she not think obesity and the social perceptions attached to it aren't related to other eating disorders?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont understand what she means. 1.) Binge eating disorder is recognized syndrome 2.) why on earth does she not think obesity and the social perceptions attached to it aren't related to other eating disorders?

Well, I've just started working with her and I don't want to put too much info out there on her but it's more to do with purging vs non-purging populations. She's never said anything about differences in the social perceptions in the two groups, if there are any. I was just a little worried about applying to certain programs, since I always saw more similarities than differences between the two groups.

I have two pretty divergent research interests. In all of my applications I made sure to tie the two interests together, but I definitely made sure to focus on area A or area B more intently depending on the focus of the school. I anticipated getting all interviews at schools with either focus in area A or area B, but I've had a pretty even split so far. Faculty who have seemed the most interested have expressed interest in collaborating with different faculty and departments and using my diverse background as sort of an excuse for branching out into new research areas, which is really exciting, but I haven't heard back from any schools post-interview yet, so I don't know how it'll all pan out.

That's awesome and pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Good luck with your schools!

Your adviser is right about it being at opposite ends of the spectrum, but that just means they are on the same spectrum. About half of our field is like that overcontrolled vs undercontrolled whether it is food, emotions, sex, relationships, risky behavior, etc. Just follow Briar's advice and you'll be alright.

Yeah we have an ED lab in our program and they have students who study obesity in addition to traditional EDs. But I agree about tailoring your personal statements appropriately.

Yup, my program also has an ED researcher and their lab seems interested in both.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Congrats on your acceptance briarcliff!

Reactions: 1 user