Two research opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Current osteopathic MS1 student. I currently have two research opportunities and i cant figure out which would be more beneficial to pursue. The first one is not where I currently live, I would have to travel to work there (which i really have no problem with). The person I would be working with is the head of an osteopathic dermatology residency, although its technically research ive been informed there isnt much chance of any publication, I would however get hands on patient experience. The second opportunity is here in my home state, its also dermatology research (more likely to get published, plus some hands on patient experience) but its an MD school and I have essentially no chance of actually scoring high enough to get into their program (its highly ranked).

So whats more beneficial, the first opportunity with not much chance of publication but some chance of getting to know the head of the residency program or doing the MD research where I may get published? Again I dont care much about traveling out of state so its not a big part of the equation.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Current osteopathic MS1 student. I currently have two research opportunities and i cant figure out which would be more beneficial to pursue. The first one is not where I currently live, I would have to travel to work there (which i really have no problem with). The person I would be working with is the head of an osteopathic dermatology residency, although its technically research ive been informed there isnt much chance of any publication, I would however get hands on patient experience. The second opportunity is here in my home state, its also dermatology research (more likely to get published, plus some hands on patient experience) but its an MD school and I have essentially no chance of actually scoring high enough to get into their program (its highly ranked).

So whats more beneficial, the first opportunity with not much chance of publication but some chance of getting to know the head of the residency program or doing the MD research where I may get published? Again I dont care much about traveling out of state so its not a big part of the equation.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Both don't sound great, I would keep looking.

Between the two, I'd pick the first one. A big part of research is getting published, an often bigger part is making connection who can go to bat for you come application time. If you can impress the program director, you'll stand to get an outstanding LOR and/or hopefully be ranked to match with his/her backing.

Your second opportunity sounds great from a publication viewpoint but if they don't have a history of taking DO students, it takes away one of the advantages of starting your research so early in medical school.

Thank you for your reply! I was told by a professor that realistically they wouldn't really consider me much as Im only a first year, according to your post you dont think thats true? Do you think having that connection for something 4 years down the line will actually help? (DO students have a gap year)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! I was told by a professor that realistically they wouldn't really consider me much as Im only a first year, according to your post you dont think thats true? Do you think having that connection for something 4 years down the line will actually help? (DO students have a gap year)

They wouldn't really consider you for what? The research year? Residency down the road?

The goal is to make yourself indispensable to whichever research project you end up deciding on. That means being present and helpful until the completion of the project and hopefully, your work ethic and attitude during the prior project will get you invited to participate in additional projects. The goal is to continue that connection for as long as possible until you apply. While I don't recommend research as an MS1, once you get the hang of the curriculum, it is possible to continue working on projects as an MS2 (probably at a reduced capacity)

It is certainly possible to carve out time as an MS3 and an MS4. I'm assuming the gap year is your internship year? While not the way I spent my elective time during internship, you can continue to work with your research mentor during quieter periods of your internship year to fully maximize the connection.

Yes sorry, as in it would in no way help me specifically attaining that residency program down the road. Do you think it might?
Unfortunately if I took the out of state one Im not sure how much additional work I would be able to accomplish during MS2, another reason to stay in state?
Thank you for the reply!

Yes sorry, as in it would in no way help me specifically attaining that residency program down the road. Do you think it might?
Unfortunately if I took the out of state one Im not sure how much additional work I would be able to accomplish during MS2, another reason to stay in state?
Thank you for the reply!

I would look elsewhere for research then. Even if it were true, that seems like an odd thing to say to a research applicant.....

My advisor did not the research team. I only have 5 weeks left of this semester before summer, do you think its possible to even find other research at this point?