Two roads, confused on the one to take. HELP!

CGregs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my issue. High school is coming to an end in about six months, and I have to admit I did very well. Looking to graduate with a 4.0 GPA, a 29 ACT, president of nearly every organization in the school, and a knack for leadership and communication with others. As I search for a career, I see myself in many fields (like most Honors kids probably do). My mother, a nurse, is someone I shadowed this past fall and I found myself interested in surgery, the hospital environment, the technology (since I love my technology). A CRNA seems to interest me, except for a few pitfalls:
1) Assigned hours
2) limited communication with patients
3) Nursing.
I am not sure if nursing is for me. I like to be in charge, as I am a born leader. I truly see myself owning a business of myself/ a leader. I feel that I need career that will fulfill my need for leadership. However, medical things have always interested me and the security of income, job security, and ability to interact with others and fascination for human body...then came dentistry. Leadership, medical field, own hours, great pay, helping others, autonomy.

Any thoughts/help for me as I try to find a direction in life?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you nailed it - dentistry.
You COULD work at a hospital, but I'd think you'd enjoy focusing on building your own practice more.

Personally, med school would make me lose my interest in the human body and holistic health (I'm a crammer).

Thanks for the reply! My only issues with dentistry is whether or not it is a good enough return on investment and time. I am expecting to spend 250k on this education and an extra 4 yrs past undergrad; therefore I would wanna make sure that this field is still sustainable and I'm making enough to repay these loans and get patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to own your own practice and have your own hours, it does seem like dentistry would be a good fit. But you also have to enjoy the field itself. I recommend shadowing some dentists and physicians and see which field interests you more. Plenty of leadership opportunities in medicine. Good luck!

Thanks! I just have an extremely difficult time being able to really pinpoint what my interests are. I just want to have a degree that I know can get me a job, and at the same time, being able to use my skills.

Yeah I'd definitely do some shadowing in both fields. Ask about what a typical day is like, what they like and dislike about their fields, why they chose their field, etc.

If shadowing in medicine, make sure to do a few different specialties. Just because you don't like surgery doesn't mean medical school isn't for you, so it's best to see what a few different specialties are like. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about dentistry.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about this right now. Focus on school and enjoying your last semester of high school. I think the summer before you start college would be a nice time to shadow, since you won't really have much going on and it would be nice (although not necessary) to enter college with a better idea of what field you'd like to pursue. You seem like a hard working student, so I'm sure you'll be fine with either field. Good luck

Thanks for the reply! My only issues with dentistry is whether or not it is a good enough return on investment and time. I am expecting to spend 250k on this education and an extra 4 yrs past undergrad; therefore I would wanna make sure that this field is still sustainable and I'm making enough to repay these loans and get patients.

Guess what - there are so many dentists who've spent more time and money than what you mentioned.
Some are happy, some aren't (mostly because they did it for the money and/or made poor financial decisions).

I personally moved to Texas (its dental schools have low tuition) and am not scared about my lack of knowledge in establishing a business because
LIFE IS TOO SHORT to not do what you want to do.
It's in my nature to take risks, and I trust myself that I'll research and interview enough to launch and maintain a successful practice.
This is coming from someone who spent her entire life worrying about money.